Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took out the suspension on a 1990 Arctic Cat EXT Special to put on new slides, now facing the problem of lining up the 4 bolts that hold it on to the tunnel. The last time I did one it was for the ZRT, and we spend 6 hrs fighting it in all directions. Any suggestion will help.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ive used ratchet straps to compress the skid, and a trrnny jack under the track, with the rear of the sled hanging from a come-a-long. It is a frustrating process regardless. It usually takes alot of swearing, and a few beers to get the job done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trailjunkie said:
ive used ratchet straps to compress the skid, and a trrnny jack under the track, with the rear of the sled hanging from a come-a-long. It is a frustrating process regardless. It usually takes alot of swearing, and a few beers to get the job done.
thats how it was with the ZRT, the rear end hanging from a tractor, one guy sitting on it, the f5 ton loor jack lifting it, and a guy pulling on the track for 6 hour for 4 darn bolts

·
Registered
718 Posts
just put the suspension in the track while the snowmachine is on it's side. remember to turn off the fuel line, otherwise you'll have a leak. put in the front arm into the tunnel align the top and bottom. make sure that the arm is in the braces. then align the top hold bolt it on, don't make it too tight. put the suspension back in. turn over the snowmachine and align the front hole. while the snowmachine's on it's side. take off the springs from the rest blocks. both the springs. you should be able to move the rear arm around without trouble and align the hole, put in the bolt, remember don't make it too tight. flip the snowmachine to the other side and do the same and go ahead and tighten the front and rear now since you should have all four bolts in there. reinstall the spring on that side and flip back the snowmachine tighten the rest of the bolts and reinstall the remaining spring. there all finshed. that's how i put my suspensions on. a 30 min or less job.

·
Registered
741 Posts
1st, get a few buddys to help you. makes it 10x easier. The easiest way ive ever done it was to collapse the rear suspension by unwinding the torsion springs, then put the front end first, then put the rear in. We had it in within 45 minutes

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Undo the torsion springs, this gives the rear torque arm a large range of motion, exactly like shady800 said.
Then get the front torque arm mounted on both sides. Then move the rear torque arm up into place and stick a bolt in it.
It is much easier with another pair of hands. When I do it by myself, I squat on the floor, use one knee to fight gravity and hold the skid under the hyfax, or move the whole skid up and down as needed. Then I use one hand to move the rear torque arm into position, and the other hand to start threading the bolt in. I also do this method with both skis on the ground, I'm not keen about tipping my sled over onto concrete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts