Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question about this sled. It Starts every time on the 1st or 2nd pull and idles to 1800. No problem.. Once the sled is warmed up, after I've been driving it for a while, it will not idle at all it just slowly falls on its face and dies. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sounds like you just need to turn the idle screws on each of the carbs up a tad. Be sure to turn each the same amount though. They always idle high when cold, then come back down when warm. So if its dieing out once warmed up, just adjust them up. Be sure to keep an eye on your plug color too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yea that was going to be my next question, the plugs apear to be pretty oiled up around the threads of the plug I changed to a new set of plugs, and am going to keep an eye on them. I know nothing about tuneing a sled, so I'm very weary about diggin into it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Don't be as concerned with the color of the plug threads as with the color of the insulator tip. Idealy you want them to be a cardboard tan color.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
yup. Idle needs to be set with a warm motor, not a cold one (as appears the case)..

-Dean

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey iv got the same sled and i have the same problem iv tried everything and it will idle sometimes then sometimes it wont i think it the nature of the beast but my opinion is if u dont know a thing about sleds then ask ur local dealer or if u have no problem with spending money then let them figure it out

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've got the esact same problem on my '96 Indy Ultra SKS. Always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull when could but can be difficult after it's warm.... My plugs are also more oily black (not wet) than the brown color. My sled has 38mm carbs. I'm using BR9ES plugs. Other than the warm start issue the motor runs like a top..... even though it looks like its rich according to the plus.

I find it will start on 1 or 2 pulls after warmed up if you give it a hair of throtle.....That's the solution if you don't want to bring it to the dealer or adjust them your self.

I was wondering if maybe a hotter spark would help aleviate this problem as the darker color on the used plugs can also signify that the spark is too cool. What do ya think???

·
Registered
20 Posts
It,s not the "nature of the beast"!!!! My XLT idles great warm or cold...clean carbs...adjusted correctly....air intake is clear of obstruction....and a good spark!![8D]

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey iv done everything to mine and she still wont idle iv cleaned the carbs,the air box, the whole fuel system, cleaned the exaust, played with the needle adjustment, played with the jetting, and played with the fuel air screws and nothing iv done has helped but it doesnt bother me all that much cause who sits there and idles there machine for over a few seconds it just means u dont have to turn the key off or hit the kill switch

·
Registered
608 Posts
The carbs have to be in sincronization. If they are off just a little, it will mess up the idle. As for the Ultra owner, I would turn the pilot air screws out a little. I think it is running to rich at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As Zackattack says "Try turning the pilot air screws". Where are these screws located? I have a 98 XLT Lim with the 34mm carbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh yeah I almost forgot. My problem is though it idles no problem at all however, its just hard to start when cold and runs very smokey. Would adjusting the pilot air screws be the fix suggested in my case?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks for the advice Zack...... I'll have to give that a try... Just to make sure.... Turning out the air screws lets in more air and causes it to lean.... Right???

Ekudl, So your machine idles fine cold ot warm right?? How hard is it to start??? (how many good pulls with it choked all the way..with the bottom of the choke lever pointing up?) If it runs and idles good while warm and the smoke goes away then you don't want to adjust a thing.... All sleds i've owned or seen smoke when cold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts