Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to repaint one of my sled hoods that is badly crazed. I sanded through the clear, base, primer, and down through the original gelcoat on the hood almost to the bare fiberglass and still saw light evidence of the crazing. I have plenty of painting experience with boats, vehicles and construction equipment but this is the first time Ive had to deal with a badly crazed surface. Do I need to sand the whole thing down to bare glass before priming to avoid the cracks coming through the new primer and paint or is ther a special primer that I can use to fuse the cracks together?

This is also the first time Ive painted something as flexible as a sled hood, do I need to use a flexing agent in the primer and paint? I was planning on using PPG Concept. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If it's stress cracks you are talking about. You will need to grind the cracks out and fill them in then use spot puddy and prime like normal or the cracks will come back. I wouldn't say I am a paint guru but I have painted a few hoods in my life with the help or a friend who is a paint guru.
Riley

1 - 2 of 2 Posts