Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

When you use the primer on your sled, does it always have air in it before gas gets picked up, occassionally have air in it before gas gets picked up, or never have air in it (gas is always right there)????

Thanks!

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440
1995 Ski Doo Formula STX LT

·
Registered
243 Posts
It shouldn't have air in it. The valve are just a rubber flap though and it's not a very positive seal. Any bit of dirt or anything could cause it to drain down.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It changes with the sled I guess. I wouldn't start counting you pumps untill you feel in full of gas. On my sled some times gas is there some times its not. Why do you ask? Is there another problem along with it?

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by SledHead:
It changes with the sled I guess. I wouldn't start counting you pumps untill you feel in full of gas. On my sled some times gas is there some times its not. Why do you ask? Is there another problem along with it?
[/quote]

Well, I just want to get a consensus of how everyone else's primers act on their sleds, normally.

I happen to agree with Razor in that there should never be any air in the primer or lines when you use the primer. To me, if you pump the primer and get air at first, your primer lines should be checked for leaks and if they're OK, swap out the primer as it's allowing that fuel circuit to leak down or even getting sucked out by the engine (which is what I think is happening to my '95 Formula STX - I use the primer, the sled runs real rich while warming up, when it straightens out and runs right is when there is no more fuel in the primer line. It gets sucked totally dry.)

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i have to agree with sled head my dads ski-doo 94formula 583 started it a couple weeks ago for the first time of the season and it took a while before i got gas u can feal the difference between air gas u will know when gas is going thro the line u can feal it

·
Registered
14 Posts
first time this season, i had to pump quite a few times till i felt fuel. now its maybe a half pump to get fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My primer will be dry if it sits overnight. What i found helps it to pick up fuel within one pump is to turn the knob a turn or two first.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya the primer on a guy's sled that I go sledding with does the same thing, it's been doing it since he got it, I asked a mechanic friend, and he said not to worry about it, unless it does something else to.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah mines been like that since I've owned it so. If its not broken, don't fix it.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm. Interesting...

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi ACMan.

Did you end up changing your primer? Did it make a difference? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by jacqui583:
Hi ACMan.

Did you end up changing your primer? Did it make a difference? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jacqui.
[/quote]

Hey, Jacqui... I was just sitting down to write you a note to bring you up to speed.

I didn't swap the primer yet. I couldn't get at the old one. Looks like I need to take the airbox out to get good access to the existing primer. But, the real news here is that I no longer think its the leaking primer that is causing the rough running when I first start this STX up. I now think that one of my carbs is leaking gas when the sled isn't running. After reading the responses to this message thread and reading all the other threads with similar symptoms on the forum I could find, I got to thinking about the carbs. Now, I was told by the previous owner (friend of mine) that the inlet valves for the carbs on this sled were pressure tested just prior to my buying the sled, and they were good. But I'm not so sure about that.

I did a test startup on the sled yesterday with the intention of just listening to the motor to see what I could hear for clues as to what is going on. I got a good break in that the sled ran on one cylinder for several seconds after the other cylinder slowly ran out of gas. I gave the primer a quick 1/4 or so shot and that cylinder fired up again, then slowly died out again. Meanwhile, the other cylinder never quit. It never seemed to respond one way or the other to the primer, which suggests that it already had enough gas to keep going. I'm not a mechanic, but this was looking like one big-a$$ed clue to me. The other clue was that after cleaning the carbs on this sled twice, the first time I started it after the cleanings the sled ran what I would term "normally". No bog or anything to make me think there was too much gas. That made me feel all warm and fuzzy, thinking that a dirty carb must have been the culprit. The only fly in the oinment was that all subsequent starts were just as nasty as before the cleanings. So, with all this in mind, I now have new inelt valves and rebuild kits (with gaskets and washers and whatnot) and even new jets on order from Dennis Kirk to allow me to do a total rebuild of both carbs.

If that don't fix it.... well, I guess it just MIGHT be time to think about trading it in!!!!

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440

1 - 14 of 14 Posts