Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im thinking way too much about this.... I hooked up my electric shield but I dont think the element is getting warm. The shield can be run on AC or DC power.

Snowmobile is a 94 Indy XLT special. No starter, battery, so i figured this sled doesnt have a DC hookup anywhere. My voltmeter isnt reading any voltage anywhere.

I hooked the red wire to the voltage regulator by the right footwell and the other wire to one of the bolts holding the regulator in.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just wired one to my 96 XCR 600 (pretty similar to your sled). Wired the red to the wire that runs the tail light and the black to the tail light ground. Works great, and it's nice to be able to see where I'm going. Also, I used a test light instead of volt/multi meter. less thinking involved -> if the light turns on you have a hot lead. Stayed away from the voltage regulator. Many folks use that to power their shield but I had heard of a couple having problems when they wired to it (can't remember the problems) I searched on the subject on this board last week and found good info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, dumb question then. How do I know if the visor is heating properly? Should I be able to feel with my fingers by touching where the element is? Cause it should be wired up right but i cant feel heat with my finger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just done this on all three of my sleds and the voltmeter setting is what screwed me up.. .try switching from AC to DC..or vice versa..can't remember which one..I was trying to find power on the side of the voltmeter that shows battery voltage and couldn't get a good reading..finally tried switching it over and viola'. .started it up and all of a sudden it's showing 13, 14 volts..I think on my last instruction sheet it said about 16 is max that you wanna have, though I don't know if it'll harm the element too much if it's a little higher or spikes up a little...if you take your voltmeter probes and put one inside the shield plug and touch the other to the metal on the outside of the plug you should be showing 12-15 volts..and you should have a factory plug somewhere in your loom too..even most older machines will have this..you'll just hafta dig around and find it. ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't know if you will be able to feel it heat w/ finger. Similar to a car rear window defroster and I don't think you can really feel that. I would just go out for a short ride and try it. You'll not have a fogging problem if it is working (sorry to state the obvious).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good... might just be working then... I put some snow on there and it didnt seem to melt, but i didnt leave it on long. I just dont want to take off for a long ride and find out midway that its not working.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You'll pretty much know right away if its working or not, your electric shield is not double thick, so it will fog alot quicker if there is no power going to it. You will NOT be able to feel the elements with your finger. You definetely want to watch where you hook it up, too much power will burn up the elements. I hooked mine into the constant power that runs my grip warmers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I installed mine I just put my helmet on outside and fogged it up good just sitting on my sled. Then started the sled and within about 30 seconds it started clearing it off and kept it clear when I tried breathing hard to re fog it. Went on the SF ride in Isabella last weekend and the shield worked great. One of the best add ons I've ever purchased.

Hey also, welcome to the site!!! You will like it here[8D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts