Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1996 vmax 600xt. It goes alright but I think I should do some clutching to it and it might go better? Don't know how to do this though. Anyways, I was looking at getting a different sled. For about $3900 I can get a 1999 arctic cat ZR 600 EFI with 800 miles on it. Awesome shape and new cobra windshield, high altitude kit(don't really need though), and cover. Then there is a 1999 yamaha SRX 700 triple for $3700. It has a temp a flow, ice scratchers, about 3300 miles on it, and a cover. Awesome condition sled too. Then for $5200 I can get a brand new, still in the crate 2000 Arctic Cat ZR 600 EFI. There is also a 2001 arctic cat brand new still in the crate zr 600 efi sled for $5600.

Which sled would be the best out of those four. I really don't want to spend the $5000 on a sled so if the others are going to be comparable just more miles then I will go with the cheaper ones. But if the new sleds are going to be comparably different and I will notice then I would consider them. I am looking for speed, performance, and handling. I also want it to be a difference than my current sled(96 yamaha vmax 600xt). It better whoop up on it if I spend the money.

What is everyone's opinion? What would you all get? Any advice/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Out of that group if I wasn't looking to spend a fortune I would prolly offer the guy $3500 for the SRX and get that. Its a good all around sled. Not the best handling not the best ride but great power. Don't get me wrong it handles and rides well but those in the crate sleds would ride better.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Just by reading your post i would have to say the used '99 ZR600 EFI (does it have APV?).

First off, it's sounds like you don't really want to spend $5K so don't.
You could go with the SRX, which should be wicked fast, but i just can't see overlooking the afore-mentioned ZR with ALOT less miles and yet similar price. Either one would be a great machine. SRX would have great speed, and the ZR should be a great trail/big bump machine.
You could also keep your Vmax and do the clutching yourself. A great way to learn clutching is to buy a clutch-tuning book, like the one AAEN Performance prints out. It's like $29 or something and is loaded with pictures and explanations on everything you would want to know. I bought that book online and it is very informative, even for beginners.
IMO.

Good luck.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I personally would take the 1999 ZR 600 over the Yamaha mainly because of the odometer difference and I am more for a sled I can throw around than scream on. The 99 and 2000 should be pretty close to the same machine (may be wrong). I think they went to the APV in 2001, which gives the 2001(110 hp) a 5 hp advantage over the 98-00 (105 hp) models.

So if you want to spend the money and gain 5 hp for $400.00, with getting the 2001 over the others, go ahead. I would save $1300.00 and get the 1999.

If you want speed, which your first sentence tells me you do, then I would go with the SRX.

All IMO.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
well since there isnt a polaris.. the miles are a big thing... 800 is bascially still new, well just broken in. the 700 with all the stuff makes me wonder if it wasnt used hard.. the zr is a nice sled from what i have heard. but at almost 4000 you could save a few bucks for a while and get one of those new ones, and break it in how you ride sleds.. thats what i would do.

i fling poo

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well only thing i have to add is that the 2000 crate sled sounds awful expensive to me. I mean its 3 years old or more. I would go with the used sleds....probably the 1999 A/C ZR 600 with 800 miles I think the other SRX is a little high priced too. But i am picky when it comes to spending that much money. Personally i would say the best deal would be the 99 A/C.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
THe pricing is not way off for the SRX though I do agree it is too high. If you go for that you should offer prolly 500 to 700 less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts