Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased my first sled, a 1990 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe. It has 2000 original miles and is in great condition.

I picked up a generic service manual for snowmobiles and it tells me I should change the air and oil filters. This sounds like good advice but I can't find either on the sled.

There is an air intake box that is sealed with clips in such a way that I doubt it has been designed to come apart for a simple change. As for finding an oil filter, I give up, I just don't see one. Is it possible my sled does not have these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Soop

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There should be some sort of sponge like filter associated with your airbox, either on top of it, or inside it. Just make sure its clean and doesnt have dust and dirt all over it. if it does, just blow or brush it off till clean. Make sure there is no dirt down inside the airbox too. There should be clips or screws that hold the cover on. Just pull them off and check inside.

As for the oil filter, you may have to pull the airbox off to have access to it. Do this, then find your oil tank, find the hose that comes out the bottom, and follow it down. There should be an in line filter. If it doesn't have one, I would recomend buying one and inserting it in the oil line after it comes out of the tank. You would just cut the line, insert the filter (with the arrow on the filter pointing towards the engine) to the hoses, and put wire ties or hose clamps on each end to hold it.

Since your down there, you might want to change the inline fuel filter as well if it has one. Again follow the fuel line comming out of the tank untill you find the filter. Good luck.

1997 XLT SP 600

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
TFIN, excellent job, really the airbox is very simple to take apart, the only few things i wanted to add is sometimes a long plat screwdriver will aid in the "clip" removal, and their should be philips head screws above the secondary clutch and one or two on the brake side of the sled that hold the bottom section of the airbox on, also, while you got the box out of there, grease your steering shaft, as well as the rest of your suspension.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I think I will probably replace the air box with a good aftermarket air cleaner set up.

Could not find any oil filter on the bottom of the tank so I will add that also. I very much appreciate the help.
Thanks Again
Soop

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
one thing to do if you are putting in a oil filter, is bleed the system of air also, faily easy to do, im not sure of your sled , but you should check if you have a bleeder screw down on the motor where the oil line connects, this should look exactly like the one on your brake caliper, you will have to crack this open and bleed all tha air out of the line, im not sure if you should run the motor while doing this,,,,,,,,anyone have a different thought on this????????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some of them have bleeders and some don't if you need to run the engine because there is no bleeder I'd advise pulling the plugs and putting a little oil in the cylinder and then only run the engine for a very short period of time. Have seen alot of engines cooked down due to lack of oil so I'm a little paranoid on this one. If you can bleed it without running the engine thats the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i think it was bman that said he used an air compressor to bleed his oil line,,,he just took the end of the air hose and cupped it in his hand and put his hand on the top of the oil resivior, with the bleed screw open and force bled the air out, i have never tried this, but i am in the process of modifying an oil resivior cap to have a air valve in it,(like on your car tires) so when i have to bleed, i just put this cap on, and preesurize the system to remove the air bubbles, when i get this done, i will let everyone know if it worked or not.

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

1 - 7 of 7 Posts