Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am planning on doing some clutch work with the EDGE X. Miker on here gave me the clutch kit from his XC 500 to work with. Its an EPI Pro-Series Clutch Kit. It comes with EPI's yellow (165-310 lbs.) and red (145-300 lbs.) Primary springs, with the stock spring being Polaris' Dark Blue/ White (120-300 lbs.). The lb. force is being measured at 2.5 and 1.25" loads. My first question would be is if I am safe with running the the EPI yellow spring without changing anything else. I would like a higher engagement in my sled which both of EPI's springs will give me, but I'm worried about that extra 10 lbs. being added to the 1.25" load between the yellow and the other two springs. Is it gonna effect the way my primary will perform to a major extent or will I not even notice it?

Second question would be what weights should I use? Stock my sled has 10-58, which for those who don't know is 58 grams, (Self-explanatory I think). The clutch kit comes with 10-54 and 10-56 EPI balanced weights. I do not want to use these as they will obviously be to light for my sled. I am thinking either a 10-60 or 10-62. I don't have a clue how much of a difference either of those will make over stock so any explanation or set-ups for clutch weight would be great. I really don't have any money to be spending on the weights so I will just stay with cheap Polaris weights.

I don't know what angle helix came with the kit but it helped alot in his XC so I will try it in my sled and see how much of a difference it makes. If anybody knows the angle I would appreciate to know about it. Also, the secondary spring (EPI's yellow secondary spring) that came with the kit (had a higher lb. rating over his stock XC secondary spring) is basically the same rating for lb.'s as my stock secondary spring (Silver/Blue). Is it worth getting a new secondary spring through EPI or Polaris? And if so, what color or lb. rating should I get? I'm lost with what the secondary spring exactly does, but I understand the rest of how they work for the most part.

I am looking to improve the acceleration in my sled without spending money on a clutch kit designed for my sled. My sled is already geared down (dont know what is has for gears) but I had it topped at about 93 mph (speedo reading) goin across our lake at our cabin up north, if this helps at all, and I don't know why it would.

Thanks Alot!!!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Use the yellow with 10-62 weights, buy a epi oranage secondary spring. No one but epi can tell you if you can use the helix. They won't tell anyone.
Try it and see what it does.
I am using a epi helix from a 98 xc 600 kit in my 440 and it works great give it a try.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help xcr440. [:D] Anybody else? I would like to know as soon as possible, what I need to get!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
usually a proven method by todays masses is to add a couple grams to the primary with a stiffer spring in the primary. the sled will pull hard. but if you want insane brap instant revving I would run the 54 grams and as much helix as you can pull with the spring you have in the secondary. these guys running these big wieghts today dont know what they are missing.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Madcow you are saying that I should put the 54 weights in along with the EPI helix and put the spring thats in there as tight as I can get it? What about primary springs? Yes, no, which one? Am I correct that if you add weight to the primary it will upshift quicker resulting in better acceleration. Thats the way I see it. And make the secondary upshift slower or faster, for more acceleration? How would I go about doing this? I can hopefully run my sled on the lake at our cabin this weekend, but from what I understand there is not a lot of ice and basically no snow. I have stock clutching in my sled now only with the the secondary spring as tight as I could get it on the stock helix and it seems to rip pretty well but I have only had it up and down our 150 ft. 100% ice driveway so its hard to tell. I just think I got to used to the slow ass four wheeler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts