Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster,

Sled is a 95 Polaris XLT Special (580cc)

Chain case oil looks like a milkshake.

I dont see an obvious drain plug anywhere, tried sucking fluid out of the fill hole with a plunger but not really getting anywhere. Whats the proper way to do it? Take chain case cover off?

Thanks

·
Registered
661 Posts
You could pile up some rags under it & just take it off, or lay the sled on it's side & take the cover off so it doesn't spill all over. Either way if you don't have a drain plug, that's the only way to do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The drain plug is located under the sled. Look for a hole in the bellypan, underneath the chaincase. The plug is round and uses a 3/16" allen wrench to take it out. If the oil is milky, more than likely the seals are leaking. Replace them and the cover seal. If you need more info, just ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
661 Posts
The plug must be different on the XLT. My RMK has a Torx plug not an allen. Looks like a allen, but is a T30 Torx. Dealer said do not use an allen wrench. Different motor, so probably different plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys,

thanks for the input. The sled is actually a 94. Just checked the production date, late 93. Could this be why Im not seeing an access hole? All I see are rivets that hold the plastic belly pan on. Am I supposed to drill these out? Or cut out an access hole?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would just tip the sled on it's side and pull the whole cover.
Just like Polaris Doc said you can check your seals.
I just like to do it this way so you can inspect the chain and teeth on the gears also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have always been told....when you are going to change the oil, pull the cover. This gives you the BEST way of doing it. You make sure you get all the old stuff out, plus you can clean it, and also check the chain at the same time. For the extra....maybe 30 minutes it takes it is well worth it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah just pull the cover....it makes a mess but its the best way. I usually get a bunch of paper towel and clean up all the think gunk that likes to collect at the bottom of the sled...also wipe clean the case of any debris or think gunk inside....Fill it up with oil of your choice...really anything works but gear oil/chaincase oil is the best.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I usually flip the sled, take off the exhaust and chain case cover then suck out the old oil using a syringe (It's always handy to have a few different size syringes around the shop). As said earlier it's a whole lot less clean-up and you also get a chance to look at everything and inspect for damage / leaky seals.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Drain plugs weren't installed until 95, so yes, you'll have to pull the cover. But really only one way to get milky fluid, and that's to have bad seals. Fill it with polaris SCL (snowmobile chaincase lube). Ask the dealer about it and he'll know what it is. New seals and cover seal is what i'd do. You will have to pull the entire chaincase to replace the seals. If you need to know how to do that, just ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allright looks like the cover is coming off then. First time trying to flip the sled over, isnt it bad for the one ski that all the weight is on? you literally have the sled at a 90 degree angle vertical?

·
Registered
193 Posts
no, but its a pain the ass to flip the sled over....I'd just pull the cover and sop up all the oil with some shop rags...its not that much oil really...plus you save the potential scratches from laying on its side...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts