Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So i just traded my 94' XCR 440 for a 97' xc 600, got the sled home and the front is sitting WAY TO HIGH, i sit on the sled and it doesnt move the suspension, grab the rear bumper and lift and the suspension comes up BUT goes back down real low when i let go. My first thought is the shock needs to be rebuilt.

Just seeing what you guys think about this? The springs are set at medium but like i said its bottomed out just sitting in the garage and its NOT on dollies.

·
Registered
761 Posts
scaryfast said:
Hey everyone,
So i just traded my 94' XCR 440 for a 97' xc 600, got the sled home and the front is sitting WAY TO HIGH, i sit on the sled and it doesnt move the suspension, grab the rear bumper and lift and the suspension comes up BUT goes back down real low when i let go. My first thought is the shock needs to be rebuilt.

Just seeing what you guys think about this? The springs are set at medium but like i said its bottomed out just sitting in the garage and its NOT on dollies.
it wasnt like that when you picked it up...?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it was like that, but it was hard to tell because it was on dollies, i dont mind the shock rebuild i just want to make sure thats what it is

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
so it drops freely when lifted? my first thought was shocks,,,but then a few other things come to mind such as the springs are weak, or it is binding somewhere,,,also chck the limiter strap and make sure it isnt set to tight..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
limiter strap is VERY loose, not tight at all, has no tension on it. As it sits right now, its almost bottomed out, i sit on it and its bottomed out immediately, then get off and it doesnt rebound, when i lift it, it comes up but falls right down when i let go.

·
Registered
632 Posts
See how easy it is to lift the springs out the cradle on the rail. If its real easy the springs are probly worn out. All the shock does is ensure the springs dont compress or rebound too fast. Im thinkin if you took the springs out of a sled the rear would almost bottom out on its own even with a newly rebuilt shock. The stock springs in the 97 XC were some pretty hefty springs if i remember right.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm also gonna agree that the springs are probably toast, as they should support you and only sag an inch or so.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
those xc's did sit low, should have fox shocks and most likely do need to be rebuilt. also people often changed the positions of the front and rear skid shocks, there is two mounting positions on the upper mount for the shock and changed the height a tad.
Personally i would start with getting the shocks rebuilt and go from there.

you can adjust the front with a spanner wrench and changing the spring tension.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Get both the shocks in the rear skid rebuilt. I had the same thing and I'm waiting for the center shock to come in. I had to replace that one because it was not a rebuildable shock. So you might have to replace one and rebuild the other one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts