Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Yamaha Vmax700 triple that is completely stock. I want to run racing fuel. My question is, do I need to make any modifications or does that depend on how high of octane I use? Thanks. [:)]

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by polarispat
[br]I have a 1998 Yamaha Vmax700 triple that is completely stock. I want to run racing fuel. My question is, do I need to make any modifications or does that depend on how high of octane I use? Thanks. [:)]
Why would you want to run expensive racing fuel if you have a stock sled?

Using higher octane in a stock sled (beyond that it was designed for...ie: Race Gas) will make less power, unless you up the compression or timing.

Why?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to know if I could gain hp just by running racing fuel. I plan on adding triple pipes and different jetting in the future. I don't mean to sound stupid, but thats why I asked the question. Thanks for your very helpful response.[:)]

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
You wont gain any power from running race fuel. If anything youll destroy your engine. Triple pipes would be the best place to start if your looking for big hp gains. With triple pipes come mandatory jetting changes and will make the sled much more finnicky. Youll have to adjust the jetting with every major temp. change.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You wont gain HP nor will you ruin your engine the only thing you will accomplish is spending more money then you need to on fuel.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]I think race fuel would ruin a stock engine. If not then snocross sleds wouldnt have to run a completely different head when using race fuel.
race engines use race fuel because of the way the engine is set up (compression, heads) not the other way around.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yep, save your cash
If you put in race fuel my guess you will not get your stock sled started, as above a high compression engine needs the race fuel to avoid detonation from a hot burn (eg. pump gas) Your racing fuel has a much higher flash point to burn then your pump gas, this being the reason I figure your sled would not start under your current conditions

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
high octane gas does not burn colder, lower octane gas does not burn hotter. race gas will not make a lower compression engine produce less power. there should be a sticky about this somewhere as to how octane actually works.

detonation is when the atomized gas spontaneously ignites under compression before it's intended to. it happens before the spark, and when the piston is in the wrong part of it's cycle. high octane (race) fuel is more stable while it is atomized and being compressed and prevents detonation.

here's a handy-dandy link where people can read a basic explaination.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]high octane gas does not burn colder, lower octane gas does not burn hotter. race gas will not make a lower compression engine produce less power. there should be a sticky about this somewhere as to how octane actually works.

detonation is when the atomized gas spontaneously ignites under compression before it's intended to. it happens before the spark, and when the piston is in the wrong part of it's cycle. high octane (race) fuel is more stable while it is atomized and being compressed and prevents detonation.

here's a handy-dandy link where people can read a basic explaination.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Finally....someone who doesn't think race fuel will destroy a motor, or burn cooler.

The one and only reason you would see cooler temps with high octance fuel is if you were detonating on pump. You will not gain hp with race fuel in a stock engine, and it will not destroy a stock engine. However, you will be able to get a crisper throttle response and consistent jetting. For a trail rider thats not really a concern.

More compression = more power hence the reason for high comp heads in race sleds. Race fuel is used because it is less prone to detonate with that increased compression.

Originally posted by TeamNFG
[br]Yep, save your cash
If you put in race fuel my guess you will not get your stock sled started, as above a high compression engine needs the race fuel to avoid detonation from a hot burn (eg. pump gas) Your racing fuel has a much higher flash point to burn then your pump gas, this being the reason I figure your sled would not start under your current conditions
It will start just fine. I use to run power110 in my stock cr125. Started good everytime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simply put, each engine is designed to run on certain octane rating, and running a different octane rating fuel in it does not help anything. Thats why its stupid to put "super" in a car thats designed to run on regular, the fuel flashpoint does not match what the car needs.
Its was a very successful campaign by the big oil companies by calling it "Super". There is nothing super about it, just burns at different temp then a reg gas.
Also, it only costs couple of cents more to make this "super gas", yet the oil companies charge 30-40 cents more for it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.