Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I better get one of these before its to late. So I was wondering what are some good brands? What do you look for in a radar detector? Also what does a good one cost?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The best one is to do the speed limit

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^true, I have one. Couldnt tell you brand name but the cops now a days dont drive around with the radar gun on and just sitting on the dash anymore. Now they only turn it on for a split second and then shut them off so by the time the little alarm goes off in your vehicle its to late.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like they said, your best bet is to slow down. By the time your detector goes off the cop already has your speed. They might as well call them ticket detectors.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
The only way radar detectors will help avoid a ticket is when they are doing speed traps or radar the car in front of you first. I have a 12 band Cobra detector and have picked up radars over a mile away with it. I am sure there is better ones out there if your willing to pay for them. As long as it picks up X, K, KU and Ka you have most police radars covered,all the others are just extras.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had planned on getting one a while back. Then I ended up with a speeding ticket. Let's just say, lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have a 12 band Cobra, i honestly think they dont work because when the go off you just as well pull over and get your stuff ready.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Radar dector is illegal here in ontario canada. I tend to go 10 km/h over but stay in between and cops wont bother you. go with the speed limit is much cheaper than the radar and tickets.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Radar detector more than worth it IMO. Friend has one, not sure on the brand or anything, but he paid $300 for it, and has picked up on speed traps over 2 miles away!

·
Registered
350 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Radar detector more than worth it IMO. Friend has one, not sure on the brand or anything, but he paid $300 for it, and has picked up on speed traps over 2 miles away!
Tell me its worth it after he gets a ticket.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Guarantee he would have been pulled over quite a few times already if he didnt have it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Empire087 said:
Maybe he shouldn't speed, i go 5 mph over tops.
Good for you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
KRSS144 said:
^true, I have one. Couldnt tell you brand name but the cops now a days dont drive around with the radar gun on and just sitting on the dash anymore. Now they only turn it on for a split second and then shut them off so by the time the little alarm goes off in your vehicle its to late.
X2. How true!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
it may legal... if a cops catches you with one you wont be let of the hook very quick

·
Registered
46 Posts
You'll never pick up lazer a mile or two away. You'll be lucky to pick it up if it's aimed at the car 100 feet in front of you. Older radar technology uses a wide beam. Lazer is instant-on and it is a micro beam. If it is aimed at you and the trigger is pulled, the cop has your speed recorded as soon as your detector goes off. I have a spendy radar detector and I never use it. Since most Departments are using lazer it's useless. Set your cruise a few miles over and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ill tell you ive had a cobra radar detector, i think its model xrs 9345, it picks up 14 different bands("signals") which was most bands available about a year ago when i got it and it has saved me more then a couple speeding tickets. i have got a few tickets and was on the verge of loosing my license before i bought one. unfortunatelly i just have a led foot that i cant seem to control and my cobra has done me well.... people above are right, if the officer turns the radar on and nails you just as you go by your screwed, but 99% of the time they will have it on before hand and you will detect him before he radars you. they have a weak-to-strong signal, usually 1-5 and at 1 they are not radaring you, they are radaring the cars ahead of you, as you get closer to his signal or he points it directly at you it will evemtually work its way up to 5, if your still speeding and your radar is at say 3 or higher theres a good chance your screwed, but like i said, 99% of the time that wont happen. if your in a real curvy area it doesnt pick up their signal as far away but on a highway/straightaway its a very good thing to have. K and KA are usually the ones you have to watch out for, atleast around here, central NY, X is usually just a store checkout scanner etc.. k and ka are usually police. keep in mind the radar detector will not go off unless the officer has his radar on, so it will not aware you of every cop, but if there doing speed checks, 99% of the time you will know they are their before they know you are their. mines has proven itself to me many times, its not a top of the line one but not a cheapo either, cost just under $100 and WELL worth it. go to cobras website and you can compare all the features. i know i wont go without one again...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts