Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im extending my 121 polaris ultra to 144. i already have the track. any advice on some good rail extentions? i found some tip up ones on tracks usa but dont know the advantage or disadvantage on tip up. any info would be great! thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
from what I hear the tip up rails r great for 144's because it acts like a 121 on trails but floats like a 144 in the powder, I thought about going that route myself but I am happy with my 136 rails from SLP, If I had to do it all over again I would go with tracks usa because their rails look a lot stronger than SLP, and they have a lot of good reviews from lots of people

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
tip up rails leaves around 128" of track on the trail when on flat land, when the snow gets over 12", the extra 8" of extra track starts grabbing the snow, and you get full traction.

--> the trail capability of a short track, the traction and floatation of a long track.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Tip ups are great. As Jesse said its like having a shorter track when your on trails, and all 144 when in the powder. Win-Win.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good guys. i think ill go with the tracks usa tip ups. 130 bucks but it sounds worth the money. thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have got tracks usa on my sled and they have worked great. What I like about them is that they support longer hyfax, The slp ones do not.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing Mine up right now.
Get the Tracks USA Tip up's.
Installation is fairly easy.
You May have to open the adjuster window's slightly with a Dremel, to fit the extension's.
Just a little tip, Use the opposite side extension as a drill guide for the hole's that are'nt already on your rail's,

Like this
20106231625406_13437.jpg 20106231650453_13437.jpg

When you're done, it should look something like this.
201062311010125_13437.jpg 201062311036843_13437.jpg

That leave's a pretty big gap between the rear bogie's, and the next set forward.
My cure for this was to add another set of bogie's at the original 121" rear position.
201062313541171_13437.jpg 201062311636859_13437.jpg

There are 2 way's to compensate the suspension for the added leverage of the extra length.
The first and most commonly used it to change to Fat Boy spring's.
The second, and the route I'm going is to have the shock rebuilt using a heavier weight oil, and a higher pressure Nitrogen charge.
If you go the shock route, you'll also want to use some billet overload spring adjustor's.

My shock is at My rebuilder right now, and the billet adjustor's are sitting on My bench waiting to go in.
The skid and track will be going back in the sled within the next week or two, then the only thing I have left to do is the tunnel extension.
You're going to want to extend the tunnel about an extra 12".

I hope you have as much luck putting your's together as I've had doing Mine.
Everything has gone together very smoothly so far.

Good Luck
Rick

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
ethan.justinger said:
what do bogie wheeles do?
In this particular application, they will keep the track from eating Hyfax like they were Skittle's[:D]

Rick

Empire087 said:
Festus, what's that going on?
Hey Empire

I've got the AGLT done, the steering post mod is complete except for slotting the hood.
And I will have the 144" installed either by the end of this week, or early next.
After that all that's left is the tunnel extension.

The plan is to have the sled completely done and fired up by the end of July.

Rick

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Student Driver said:
I don't think you need any more bogie wheels for that.
As long as you have all of the stockers, that should be fine.
Yeah Darin
I just wanted to bridge that huge gap between the original location's, and the new location to save the hyfax some wear and tear.

Rick

·
Registered
232 Posts
looks like a good project for whoever is doing it. i thout about getting my 121 into a 136 but then again min dont have enough of the deep stuff or mtns for that matter(in nw mn anyway).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Finally got mine installed today.
201062918244091_13437.jpg 201062918257341_13437.jpg

Now I have to get on the Tunnel Extension.

Rick

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yeah it's an 1 1/4" Ripsaw I found on EBay, got it for $300, and it still has the sticker on it.

Rick

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
How is that 1 1/4 ripsaw working for you? They looked and sounded like a decent track until i read that they trenched like its their job in the pow.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yes, go with the tracks usa 121-144 tip ups, you will be happy! I am!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts