Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddie is selling the sled that i haelped him build. its a 2001 polaris xc sp ev. they only made a limited build of the ev. it stands for exhaust valves. they give that model 8-10 more horsepower tha any other 700. we oput so much work into it. new suspension ripsaw tarck its clucthed its got a mbrprace can. new hood bellypan, and a carbon fiber bumper. hes not sure what he wants for it yet but im going to buy it because it kills any other 700 and some 8. i will get 4in riser and fly bars. im thinking that he will ask around 4500 so thats not that bad when we have hit the a on the speedo with it and killed a f7.
what do u guys think about it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by polaris4u1
[br] they only made a limited build of the ev. it stands for exhaust valves. they give that model 8-10 more horsepower tha any other 700.
I was under the impression that VES doesn't necessarily add horsepower, it changes where it's used. Makes the powerband bigger by using small exhaust ports in low RPM, and opening them up bigger in higher RPM. Small ports = more low end grunt, Big ports = high end power. VES gives the best of both worlds?

Bryan

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yes Bryan, but I think it can make more peak horsepower because of the reasons you stated. Without VES, the engine has to compromise, so it loses a little potential either at the bottom end or the top end, or both. With VES, the engine is taking advantage of its full potential at both ends.

I don't know if you buy that. I pretty much pulled that right out of my you-know-where. But it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
like jd said it is possible to gain hp. the manufactures design non ves motors to have decent low and top end to tuning for the best of both worlds. ves allows for a small port on the low side to keep back pressure up some to keep compression up and also a small port has higher velocity. but when you open it up and the rpms rise the motor needs to breath . the larger exhaust port allows for the motor to flow more air and make more peak hp.

same idea that honda uses in v-tec. but instead of a valve it has two cam profiles that allow the motor to make the most power down low and up top.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It won't kill any other 700 or 800 unless its internally modified... there is nothing "special" about that engine... you have to understand.. that limited build for 2001 is just the same stock motor that came in the sleds after 2001... and still has a bit less horsepower than the newer ones. But yes it's rare for the year.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm open for the challenge, I'd like to see if it can KILL my old NON-VES 700, bring it and let the beatings begin, he did say it KILLS any other 700's....lol.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It is a good sled my dad's buddy has one. I am not so sure it kill's other 700's. Yes it is alittle faster maybe 2-5 lengths in 1000ft. The ves does add some hp not much but add's ,ore usable hp. Meaning the valve will make the exhaust port the right height for all ocassions.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
My Ben Franklin is on 98700xc

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by dodger
[br]My Ben Franklin is on 98700xc
Depends on where you are racing....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not had any trouble with the 98 700's and I have a 2002 700 ves. Stock for stock you have some big hp differences. Even well tuned piped 98's can't touch a well set up 2002 700 ves. I will not put a dollar on the table for anything from 2003-05 but the '02.....that is a different animal in the right hands.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
98700xc
where do u live my buddy likes a challange

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Originally posted by 2blu7
[br]I have not had any trouble with the 98 700's and I have a 2002 700 ves. Stock for stock you have some big hp differences. Even well tuned piped 98's can't touch a well set up 2002 700 ves. I will not put a dollar on the table for anything from 2003-05 but the '02.....that is a different animal in the right hands.
This is one of the guys i ride with this summer...He had this sled beating f7s with ease at a hill climb last year, fully stock motor wise. 02 edge x 700 with 3600 miles or so.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5lAQs4iO0_E

·
Registered
476 Posts
[br]I have not had any trouble with the 98 700's and I have a 2002 700 ves. Stock for stock you have some big hp differences. Even well tuned piped 98's can't touch a well set up 2002 700 ves. I will not put a dollar on the table for anything from 2003-05 but the '02.....that is a different animal in the right hands.
what are you saying that the 02s are faster then 2003 to 2005

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Payne
[br]Arnt the rare 700`s out of the 97 indy sks? The piston port fugi 700?
There was no 700 PP. The 97 700 that I am thinking about was the green one and that was a 700 reed valve twin.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Originally posted by ganch
[br]
No they are not... well I should say.. If you leave the stock can on then maybe yes... 2002 noise emissions were a lot less than the current.. they plugged up the exhaust so bad the the newer sleds can't breath until you drop the can... other than that.. they are the same.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There is a difference in early castings vs. production 2002 and newer 700 cylinders. I have two sets of early production 700 VES cylinders, and both use the 440/600 mulit piece exhaust valve bases unlike the production 1 piece base. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the ports to production units so I couldn't tell you if there was a difference there, but I do know at least that th 2001's used a different casting for the cylinders.

·
Registered
109 Posts
[br]
Out of the box yes. With traction yes. Of course you can't begin to quantify how important set up is on any sled. As a rule though the 02 700's have made more power than the 03 and later stock for stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]
[br]
No they are not... well I should say.. If you leave the stock can on then maybe yes... 2002 noise emissions were a lot less than the current.. they plugged up the exhaust so bad the the newer sleds can't breath until you drop the can... other than that.. they are the same.
You stand corrected. The 02 700 has diff
+erent jetting,airbox,clutching and cdi(i think) specs. If you look at the micro fiche for oem parts and compare the differences you will see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts