Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a ratcheting sound coming from my sled when i hit it either in powder or on the trail. I have been real hard on my sled the past few weekends and its hard not to be but now it makes this ratcheting sound. Is it the drive shaft missing the rubber lugs on the track to drive it? its only when i hit it froma stand still or drop the hammer at a higher RPM. the sled has cheater heads and is geared up real nice and I dont know if because of that o wrecked something? the belt isnt missing any teeth(its brand new) but i havent looked at the chain yet so what do you guys think? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys!!

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the track seemed tight enough..it only hung half an inch in the middle..

· Registered
860 Posts
MN_SlEdnEck said:
check too see if the arms in the suspension are broken at all.
with my old 440, the arms snapped and that made it seem like the track was to loose.
the arms i'm talking about are the ones that the front bolt to hold in the rear suspension.
hope this helps, if not, i may be able to get a picture for you.

· Registered
708 Posts
mxz440kid said:
MN_SlEdnEck said:
check too see if the arms in the suspension are broken at all.
with my old 440, the arms snapped and that made it seem like the track was to loose.
the arms i'm talking about are the ones that the front bolt to hold in the rear suspension.
hope this helps, if not, i may be able to get a picture for you.
Its called a torque arm... MN_Sledneck, you should prop the back up off the ground and spin the track while running and see if you can hear it make the noise, with no load. You might be able to narrow down the area of the sled its comming from. Does it make any vibrations when it makes the noise? You might want to spin the secondary clutch by hand and see if you notice anything... GL

· Registered
193 Posts
track tension from polaris spec is 1/2 inch with a ten pound weight hanging from the track 16 inches from the rear wheel i believe. I can check my manuals if you want. with that said...... loser is faster.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F**k i hope my rails aren't broken, that would be the fifth suspension i have gone thorugh on two sleds, maybe i need to upgrade to the edge soon haha and I did not get a chance to get the sled out tongiht and take a look due to work and class but i will tomorrrow. thanks for all the help guys its greatly appreciated!

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brsmithca said:
I hope it isn't your rails either.
ya lets hope not or i will be mad/a little disappointed

· Registered
322 Posts
also check your drive shaft bearing just replaced mine after it exploded causing ratcheting

· Registered
322 Posts
I would start with the chain case. Is it a metal on metal sound? If so that's where I would look first. check chain tensioner. Just my .02 cents.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thnaks all for your help but this was just a small/easy fix. I thought my track was tight( as of two weeks ago) and the past two weekends I have put on about 350+ miles and thats when the noise started. i pulled it in the garage tonight and the track was loose so i tightened it and took it out. i have 20 or so acres behind my house luckily and rode on the flat packed stuff and powder and the noise is gone. I guess the track was just really loose. thanks thought guys, i did check my chain and tensioner while it was in and its all good. hope for snow now!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.