Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture this, Sunny warm afternoon ride on the trails, enjoying the peace of not having to deal with other people (something we all deal with all week long), and along comes the RCMP on sleds! Looking for registration papers (mostly the tax that you are suposed to pay), how you are riding, and if you have proper gear. Listen sherlocks, has all the real crimes been solved and now your waisting more of our tax money just for fun? I think not. You want to talk about inexperinced riders! Neither one of them knew the first thing about the equipment they were riding nor the proper riding skills. But there out here telling us how to be safe. If they want to check for stolen sleds, then park were everyone else puts in and check the units as they load up or unload. Leave the peace of riding and enjoyment to those who deserve and need it.
Anyone else have the same thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is kind of strange what they are doing, just like you say. Here we have people poaching deer right of the highways, and our local conservation officers are checking people for trail passes. They are even a danger to real snowmobilers, the way they ride. Lately one broke his leg while loading his machine, fell of his ramp. One went through his rear window, costing the taxpayer about $4000.00. Priorities are for sure in the wrong place. But that's government, commen sense just does't make sense to them. There now I feel better, already.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Man around my area here they're training just special units as sled cops. Checking all that crap out about #'s and hiding behind trees with the ole trusty rardar. Checking to make sure you have your driver's license on you and all the other crap. What a waste of tax $'s. They spent $120,000 in purchasing new sleds for them to ride and they guys show up at the sled draqgs nailing people there.Seen 4 people in 30 secs. get dinged for no helmet. Just moving their sled 4 feet ahead out of the slush and water wearing no lid and Bam!!! you're charged for no helmet. Give me a break!!![:(!][:(!] Like ya saqid polaris 600... it's not enjoyable anymore on the trails. Looking for cops hiding with radar, rear end slides out a bit on the corner and you're charged with careless. This is really starting to bite. Oh ya.....they're also riding they're quads down the trails as well. This is really nice of them especially right after the groomer goes by. IDIOTS!!!![}:)][}:)] Sorry for the long thread but I'm really pissed too

·
Registered
172 Posts
I sure hope that crap doesn't spread to Alaska. Isn't there a snowmachine group you can join that's against all that sort of nonsense?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes!! I agree 100% I used to feel sorry for the people in the U.S.S.R. I was always greatful for the freedoms we had in Canada and the U.S.A. They are disappearing fast thanks to a few idiots trying to show how important they are and how they are saving the public from the dangerous criminals[:(]Not!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Pretty tough to beat the cops and it's the government funding it.Supposed to be democratic government here in Canada but I don't remember voting or being asked to vote on that. Think we're jsut S.O.L. and have to swallow it and have deep pockets when riding

·
Registered
20 Posts
If we were,nt such goodie-goodies and we all told them to F*%k Off! Maybe they would get the message....too many people seem willing to "take it up the exhaust"...we are to blame because we let it happen!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Write a letter to the editor in your local newspaper. I bet there's a bunch of people that are pissed about it and are just accepting it, no one enjoys having cops lurking behind trees trying to bust you when you're out trying to have fun.
If a bunch of people wrote in & started complaining, I'm sure the Chief of Police (or his equivelent in Canada) would reign them in somewhat. Seems to me that the cops would be better used solving crimes & chasing real criminals than harassing citizens out recreating.
Nothing will change if no one complains about it, though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are checking for registration everywere , even taking sleds out of trucks that dont have the reg decal on tunnel in northern BC , but as far as rcmp stopping us on trails and lakes , well first they gotta catch us!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Life is life. The guys are there to enforce rules that govern our great sport. Deal with it eh? How do you feel when you pay your $130 for a trail permit, and get all registered up and you meet some dickhead on the trail that hasn't paid his dues? Do you think thats fair? I think not. I think its good they are out there. Insurance is WAY up, and all of us good sledders are paying the price for those losers that drink and ride. I think the cops should step it up a bit until things come back to reality. Ride sober!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I guess there are always people out there that enjoy rules & laws that govern every aspect of your life. The more there are, the happier they are.
I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea where i live they got people who know how to drive a sled out wondering the trails for people without registration or without a permet and even if you don't have your licence that is f$cking stupit. but the are not suppose to chase you to much of a safty issue but i guess some will follow. Well i got nothen on my sled and they will have the catch me to get me i got a 500 polaris that has lots of speed it will go 98mph.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think that when all cops put the badge on they turn into assholes. Once they get there asshole badge on they are out to spoil our fun. Like i said before i'm going to be a cop so i can be a miserable prick for the rest of my life and get paid for it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well as a younger lad, i gave many of these hard working patrol men a good run for their money, and it wasn't that i was really doing anything wrong, it's just that they have authority, and abuse it. Many a time my old John Deere and I would hit the unbeatin road to lose a rent-a-cop. It just seems now a days that we have enforcment for everything. In my home city they have banned smoking city wide in all restuarants and businesses, and have police to ticket offenders. So once stuff like this happens it's just not worth paying attention. Just pass them with a smile and lay on the throttle!!!![8D]

·
Registered
975 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
that really blows! ive been chased through town by our local keeper of the peace, for absolutely nothing at all, was comming off the river one noght at 9:30 pm, he started following me, so i got mad and opened up the triple as hard as she would go, blasted down a road and hid in a field, he was using his little spot light trying to find me, so then me and my buds decided to really mess with him, i still to this day have no clue why he was hassling us, oh well, he has been fired since, and our new cop doesnt care, out of uniform he will have a beer with us, nice fellow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there is a area that problem sledders are at, then I don't have a problem with the boys being there. However, In the local paper the RCMP stated that there are mostly checking for registrations because of the provincial tax our BC govt wants. I live 30 min from the Alberta boarder and yes, I buy as much as I can from the provincial tax free province. Why not? 7.5 % in my pocket is a bunch on a $10,000 sled! Sorry but I have a problem with not having freedom of purchasing power within CANADA! Boarder restrictions! What did my Grand father fight for in WW1? Its an a embarrasment to be watched where ever you choose to go. Try following the REAL criminals, the ones breaking into our homes, stealing and vandalizing our vehicles, and drug dealers selling to our kids! Leave us nature lovers the hell alone!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
First thing...what does RCMP stand for? I'm sure i'm not the only person wondering.

Second. I agree with the original post...it's overkill.

Third. Maybe i shouldn't say this, but i will. On my recent voyage through the UP of Michigan, our group was stopped by 2 conservation officers to check registration etc... It took several minutes to do, so one of us asked the officer what would happen if we just "took off" and ran without stopping. He simply said..."Nothing." Basically he explained that it would take miles and miles before the culprit would even look behind them to see the officer chasing them, plus the fact that many riders could probably out-run them anyway. Then you've got the danger of chasing them through other snowmobile traffic and so basically he said "It's just not worth the risk of endangering other riders as well as the officer himself."

I don't blame them one bit.

I'm not implying to anyone that they should flee any officer, but rather just give them the respect they deserve that help keep our threatened sport from being over-ruled by unnecessary rules and regulations due to unreasonable irresponsible riders. 95% of riders are wonderful people, but that irresponsible 5% is the ones the officers and the general public want off the trails. In our area, i think the worst problem is snowmobilers that ride drunk. These are the ones i really want OFF the trails! It's simple!...if you're drunk, fine, no problem, do want you want, BUT stay home or get a ride from somebody else!!! Getting in your car or snowmobile is about the stupidest thing you could do. My whole life i have witnessed drunk drivers and it never really bothered me until i got older and wiser. These are kind of people i want officers to stop, because to me it seems more beneficial than simply checking for proof of registration. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RCMP----Royal Canadian Mounted Police

1 - 20 of 30 Posts