Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1996 storm 800 I sanded and repainted the exhaust. My question is, do I need to put the heat shield cover things back on? It looks nice with out the covers on it, and I was wondering if I could just leave them off, or will too much heat escape?

·
Registered
58 Posts
not an expert by any means with exhaust but i don't think the heat shield does anything other than keep stuff from burning on it...just look at older machines they don't even usually have heat shields. i would say you don't need them but them might do something to the performance of the exhaust i'm not 100% sure on it

·
Registered
103 Posts
it is actually good to keep heat in your exhaust, it makes more horse power this way. i wrapped my exhaust this year with heat wrap and it seems to run better might just be in my head but lots of people wrap there exhaust. so the shield might help keep heat in. also if you used regular paint it will more than likely just burn off.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Heat shields keep the heat in the pipes, so if you let off the gas for a second you don't lose 10hp or so until the heat builds back up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
On my 1996 storm 800 I sanded and repainted the exhaust. My question is, do I need to put the heat shield cover things back on? It looks nice with out the covers on it, and I was wondering if I could just leave them off, or will too much heat escape?
When I re painted the exhaust on my dads ZRT 800 I ruffed up the heat shields and painted the outsides of them.It looks cleaner all black.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Keep them on. They retain heat in your pipes. Paint them if you like the black color.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Also, for them to work properly, you need to re-pack them with fiberglass insulation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no I used rustoleum high temp heat paint so the paint will not burn off.
it is actually good to keep heat in your exhaust, it makes more horse power this way. i wrapped my exhaust this year with heat wrap and it seems to run better might just be in my head but lots of people wrap there exhaust. so the shield might help keep heat in. also if you used regular paint it will more than likely just burn off.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Some are ceramic coated, others have the shields, and others are for drag racing, while yet others are tuned to run with a wider temperature range.

If they originally had a shield, they are tuned to run with said shield.

1,792 Posts
no I used rustoleum high temp heat paint so the paint will not burn off.
Probably be a big mistake. I used that, and 2 years later, the moisture in the air over the summer caused the metal to rust underneath and blister the paint. Should've used something more expensive like I should have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts