Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1993 Yamaha VentureXL 485 fan. Trying to change my track, but there's a serious problem..... I can't figure out how to get the driveshaft out of the chaincase so I can drop the track. I've got everything taken apart, and getting the shaft out of the hole where the speedometer cable housing is, was not a problem. The problem is, the gear on the end of the shaft (that the main drive gear slides over) is bigger in diameter than the hole in the centre of the bearing.
Here are some pics. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

As you can see, I have a real dillema here. I've never ran into this problem in the past with any of my other sleds. Usually the shaft comes out quite easilly (with any other sled I've had to duct tape....er.....ummm....I mean, work on.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking....but it's all once piece....well, what you see is all one piece. Been trying to get it off the main shaft, but nothing seems to be working. I can't really see it being pressed on, because it just seems like WAY too much work for what should be a simple track change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I can see that it's a "journal" now.....how to get it off....
And as far as changing my chaincase oil goes......this is the first time. Bought it last year and was told it had been changed.....obviously.....by the looks of things.....it didn't get changed at all....I just about choked when I saw all the burnt oil in there...

·
Registered
528 Posts
The ring at the end of the spline is just the spacer collar for the gear. Tap it gently back down the spline and then look for any burrs at the end of the spline that are preventing it from sliding off. A quick dressing with a file should fix the problem in short order.

As far as that chaincase goes, remove it, clean it with solvent, replace the bearings and seals, and replace the speedo side bearing. It will be the best $50.00 investment that you could make. Get your bearings and seals at a bearing supplier not the dealer, about 1/3 of the dealer cost.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
bottom bearing has one of those inside snap
rings that are a pain to get off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts