Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gutted my can out and i just have this feeling it will mess something up. i have not drove it with it yet but idk whatto do. Will i be ok or should i buy an aftermarket can for it? what is the best can out there for my sled? 98 zr 600 efi. I want noise and tone. does jaws make one for that model?

·
Registered
741 Posts
well id run it for a bit with the gutted can and see what it does before id go out and buy another can haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
1st nice sled looks real nice !!!!! i would think you may need to re jet but i dont realy know about these things but i am sure some one will i would think it would be equivalent to a stinger

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its fuel injected too so that is another thing im worried about. i dont wnt to ruin anything. what is the best can mbrp jaws rumble pack ultra q d&d, what? lol and what is a stinger?

·
Registered
61 Posts
itll be fine, if it runs lean at all it will sense it and automaticly run richer, my streetbikeing days taught me that shit. efi is a wonderful thing. but if u dont like the noise you cann always buy twins or just a different can.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The muffler itself won't change the fuel mixture, just the pipe will do that. You wont ruin anything by gutting. If you take a look inside, say a sno stuff can, it is just a glass pack that you can look straight through. They basically don't restrict anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you think im good? your sure 100% i wont mess up my sled. its my baby as we can all agree upon with our sleds haha

and i guess im more worried about pressure. i know the pipe does most but i read that ppls sleds burned down cause they did that and it messed a lot up

·
Registered
355 Posts
The pressure waves are all in the pipe. The silencer have almost nothing to do with it. And being fuel injected it will compensate anyways. If you worried just run it wide open and check the plug color. That will tell you exactly whats going on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont wanna blow it up. so technically you dont even need a can? just there for silencing purposes?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah pretty much! Just run it wide open and check the plugs. Cardboard brown and you're good. Running it wide open for short runs won't blow it up. Just check the plugs if your nervous. I had a gutted DG can on our old xlt and it ran just fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya. i put it on there and it sounds sweet. idk what it will sound like through all rpms though at different acceleration speeds though. it sounds good though sitting in my garage haha

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't worry about blowing it up. It won't hurt it. Here's a link to the can i ordered. I hope it sounds as good as this one! haha I can't wait to get home for Christmas break and throw it on! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0AvLNoi0f4

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it sounds like that except the crackle is louder. you know how there is this nice truck with a nice exhaust and it sounds nice, and the other guy has one and its cobbled up and sounds like a derby car? well i hope this is not a derby car haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no snow yet lol we have about an inch in the grass. do u know of any grip strips for just the edge of our running boards that are orange?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k. i know u can get colored grips but it is the whole running board colored. that would look stupid with this much orange already.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would recommend an MBRP can, they are not too obnoxious and gives you a nice rummble, and when you crack that throttle, peeps will definately notice you.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Maverick69 said:
I would recommend an MBRP can, they are not too obnoxious
I think that is the first time I have ever heard MBRP not being too loud. MBRP, Sno-Stuff, and Jaws are all right up there on the loudness scale...IMO I guess.

98zr600le said:
i dont wanna blow it up. so technically you dont even need a can? just there for silencing purposes?
Not necessarily true. The factory can should be tuned to the motor and exhaust. When swapped out with an aftermarket can, you are almost certain to lose back pressure and likewise power. If you're so worried about problems or reliability, keep it stock! Some newer EFI's won't even run properly with an aftermarket can, so that must say something about the stock system. I've had 4 different aftermarket silencers on my 700EFI, and they all made the motor act up. Put the stock can back on, and it runs great.

800mtnmod said:
itll be fine, if it runs lean at all it will sense it and automaticly run richer
The EFI will compensate only so far with the stock mapping! Yes, the stock mapping is fine for an aftermarket can only, but don't always think it will if you start getting into modifications.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I installed a Sno-Stuff Rumble-Pack Can on my 1999 ZR 500(Non-Powervalve) and it was literally one of the loudest sleds that i've EVER heard. When my GF raced it in the local XC race, you could hear it for miles...I knew it was her coming around the corner just by hearing it. I don't know how it will sound on your 600 but it had a wicked fine-tuned loud tone on the non-powervalve 500 engine.

Edit: We did'nt lose performance with the Sno-Stuff Can in case your wondering.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts