Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awwards-faster-safer-snowmobiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_v_vtXvVM

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ski-dooer12 said:
thats pretty sick!! does it weigh a lot more though?
not sure, pretty cool though. even if it does weigh a little more, its putting more power to the ground to make up for it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Looks like it would work well, but some of the video seems a little misinforming to me... Like where he says, notice how the skis lift when he hits the water. The rider leand back more and most likely pins it harder. I would like to see how that works in deep powder and hillclimbing.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Looks like if you run over anything such as a log or anything it will bust the front bogey wheels, there isn't much if any of a slant there for the track to ride over stuff and stuff is easier to get caught in the drive shaft mechanism. Those seem like the major flaws to me plus manufacturing costs would be up making the price of the sled higher.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
^ Yeah it would screw your sled up pretty bad if a rock or a log went up there. They could put more wheels where the drivers on a regular sled would be and just run the track up there.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the video is one of the first ones made, it has been more refined. look at the article and pics in there

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
^ Yeah it would screw your sled up pretty bad if a rock or a log went up there. They could put more wheels where the drivers on a regular sled would be and just run the track up there.
Yeah that would work but this design is suppose to decrease drag and more track and bearings and stuff will increase it again which will negate the purpose plus changing them will be just as much of a pain as if the drive shaft was up there. I just don't really see this catching on. It seems like it would really tunnel easily if you pin it on a high hp sled in deep pow plus wouldn't putting more pressure on the back lift the skis up creating less control and have less traction since only part of the track is hitting the ground?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Yeah that would work but this design is suppose to decrease drag and more track and bearings and stuff will increase it again which will negate the purpose plus changing them will be just as much of a pain as if the drive shaft was up there. I just don't really see this catching on. It seems like it would really tunnel easily if you pin it on a high hp sled in deep pow plus wouldn't putting more pressure on the back lift the skis up creating less control and have less traction since only part of the track is hitting the ground?
Yes and no, it will life the skies easier but if you let off a little you will be back down, this is a thing that will be in sleds in the near future. as for the track getting caught or rocks going up by where the drive shaft used to be it would not matter because nothing will be up there but imagine if they actually got this to work it would be great.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
zecow224 said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Yes and no, it will life the skies easier but if you let off a little you will be back down, this is a thing that will be in sleds in the near future. as for the track getting caught or rocks going up by where the drive shaft used to be it would not matter because nothing will be up there but imagine if they actually got this to work it would be great.
Yes it would matter. There are and will be heat exchangers. And think about the track/suspension damage.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
A couple months ago there was a link in the "in the news" tab on the SF homepage, I checked it out, If I remember right, it weighs less than stock! My concerns are also with ArcticCatZR800. Also, the drive belt is a few feet center to center- it goes from the primary clutch, through the footrest, and alongside the runningboard to the secondary clutch. Makes the left running board quite narrow, and a broken belt is dangerously close to your ankle.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Imagine the cost of that drive belt.....I love the stress on traction....and its shown on grass. Not to hard getting traction on grass. I would like to ride it on snow though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Innovative I suppose, video a bit misleading. I'd like to see some people like this messing around with hydro and servos clutching.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i like how it says keeps the skis up across water if i hit water at 60 with my a$$ out in the air mine are in the air the biggest thing that i dont like is the choincy little chain thats a good way to get you stranded in the middle of nowere

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYuE-OyLPU&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdVqs9AGX0&feature=related

I'm still not that impressed. If this was such a great design, don't you think the big four would've been at least prototyping this or in production already??

The drive on a sled works just like the one on a tank (drive axle in front). If this was such a great idea, the military would be using a rear-drive set up on the tanks.

IMO-Too much crap to go wrong. I can not ever see this in full production on sleds.
The current front drive has worked for years and years and has basically been perfected, so why start all over???

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hangman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYuE-OyLPU&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdVqs9AGX0&feature=related

I'm still not that impressed. If this was such a great design, don't you think the big four would've been at least prototyping this or in production already??

The drive on a sled works just like the one on a tank (drive axle in front). If this was such a great idea, the military would be using a rear-drive set up on the tanks.

IMO-Too much crap to go wrong. I can not ever see this in full production on sleds.
The current front drive has worked for years and years and has basically been perfected, so why start all over???
Couldn't agree more, if it works why fix it? I think that if changed it would have so many flaws that it would fizzle out anyways after a few years. Sure it probably would work great while it was working but it doesn't seem too reliably. Plus what if a car is coming and you need to steer when your on the road? Carbides don't work that well on the road but i'd rather have little turning ability than none at all.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The thing that gets me is that the front wheel extrudes too for from the sled, it will actually apply a force in the opposite direction(at the top of the wheel). But i guess if you are just using it for tarmac drag racing....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The only way this thing is going to sell is if the maker gets units out for people to ride, watch, compare too.

The rear drive idea has been tinkered with in the past. I can't find any info but one man was building a twin track, rear drive machine. It looked very similar to a 4 wheeler with a track conversion kit in back. It never caught on past the prototype stage.

As for this unit? Lets see a promo video with a pro rider on a sno-x track. Put it through the paces on some rutted up terrain.

Conventional design might not be AS efficient, but it is proven.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
seems like there is no approach angle on the front of the track for obsticles

1 - 20 of 28 Posts