Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, on the early 90's sleds (pre-xtra-10) there was a hole in the rear mounting brackets for the skid that was actually below the tunnel. Both mine and my friends RXL were in this lower hole when we got them so i assumed it was normal. There is also a hole above the footboard. Is it proper to be mounted in that hole below the tunnel or is this wrong and it should be above the footboard? Does it actually restrict suspension movement?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
There is nothing wrong with mounting the suspension in the lower hole. The suspension can be mounted any number of ways in order to get the desired ride, handling, traction, etc, characteristics.

Also the suspension travel and operation will be the same regardless of the location it is mounted. If you look at the mounting plates on the inside of the tunnel, there are about 4 or 5 different locations the suspension can be mounted in the front and rear. I believe Polaris mounted the suspensions in the hole just above the running board from the factory.

A lot of people moved that rear mounting to below the running board for various reasons. On the older suspensions the two things that mounting location affects the most are ski pressure and ride quality. Basically, the suspension can be mounted wherever it needs to be in order to get a good balance of those two things.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They were mounted in the top hole from the factory. Some people mount it in the bottom hole when they ride in a lot of powder. If you ride a lot of bumps and ride the sled hard I would mount it in the top hole through the tunnel. You would have more strength there insted of in the lower one. Hope this helps. Oh and the sleds that came with the XTRA 10 have the same mounting plate too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts