Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had skid out and both shocks rebuilt. Put skid in and now when you sit on the sled it goes right to the bottom. I don't want to seem dumb but I have the springs back torqued up and in the slots on both ends and on the middle settings and all appears to be right but it is just isn't right. I am wondering if I need one more wrap of the spring BUT I don't think you could do that without breaking them or fingers. Any ideas to look for ? I was thinking maybe the rebuilt shock took a dump because I don't think it was like that when we first put it back together but the next day it appeared to get soft.

Thanks Brad

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
My guess would be that your torsion springs are not on correctly? The shock only dampens.
If you are sitting on it and its going to the bottom, its a spring problem.
Are the spring endds on top or bottom of the adjusting blocks?
Are you sure you put them on the correct sides?. They are LH/RH specific.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It is not the shocks, check the spring mounts as noted above. You can not wind them up. Also by chance are the skis up on jack stands? If so that will make the back collapse.

·
Registered
317 Posts
it still may be the shox. gas shox are not only for dampening but also load barring too.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by RED_XCR_440
[br]it still may be the shox. gas shox are not only for dampening but also load barring too.
Learn something, then come back and post.

·
Registered
506 Posts
A shock with a 1/2 inch shaft and 200 psi has around 40 pounds of force. I could do the exact math for you but I won't. Then consider that there is a lever working against the shock at probably a 6 to 1 ratio (again I don't have time to figure it out but you can). That would give the shock an affective load carrying capacity of less than 7 pounds. Still think shocks are load carrying???

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Shock wasn't rebuilt properly would be my guess. There are places that do crappy jobs on shocks. Been there, done that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts