Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
I put the front and rear xtra-10 on my 91 RXL. What a ride!! Some things to make the switch easier: Get the measurements from the driveshaft opening to the first mounting hole on the donor sled, as well as the measurement from the first to the second mounting hole. Make sure that your measurement down from the top of the tunnel is the same. I used the rear mounts from the donor sled, but drilled through the plate in the front. If you are going to do the front suspension as well, make sure that you change the sway bar, and trailing arms. On the xtra-10 the sway bar is longer, and the trailing arms have a cut out for the shocks to travel correctly. Oh yeah, while you have everything apart - i'd reccomend changing the driveshaft bearings, grease up the shafts in the rear suspension, check the tie rod ends, and have the fox shocks rebuilt (if time and $$ permit).

· Registered
589 Posts
Pooly, it has been my experience that this should work on any Polaris from 89 until they started having the xtra-10, xtra-12 as a standard feature. I have seen xtra-10 rear suspensions at swap meets for around $500. The front could be done by buying the parts from Polaris. The only thing would be to grind out the trailing arms so that the shocks travel well. Keep an eye on e-bay, every once a while one comes along. Also, try Snowmoblie Internet Marketplace. I have found some good stuff there as well.

· Registered
589 Posts
Sno-X - For the most part, you are right. I was lucky enough to get a toatled donor sled at a swap meet for $400. The rear suspension was perfect, and the front needed some replacement parts, which cost me around $50. So, I have $450 in to the whole deal. I sold the seat and track off of the donor sled for $175, and $150 each - so I have about $125 in to the whole project. The swap took me about 3 hours total. The hardest part was getting the darn sway bar back in. If you compare the bulkhead and tunnels, they are identical. Now if you were to take the CRC front end, and a rear out of the edge chassis, and try to fit that in to the Indy chassis, you would have a tough time with that project.

· Registered
589 Posts
XLTMAN - check the measurements on the front suspension. I think that the hole needs to be drilled right near where one of the rivets are on your project sled. That makes the first hole easy. for the rear mounts, I still recomend taking the mounts off your donor sled and riveting them in your chassis. For the front, drill out the plastic bushings on the sway bar, pull it out, and replace it. The rest is pretty easy to swap out. Good Luck, and your back will thank you in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.