Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '92 Indy Lite. Haven't had a whole lot of time to look at the rear suspension yet but I noticed it is real low and does't have a lot of travel. It doesn't seem like it is seized. Does anyone have an idea of how much travel this sled should have and if I can increase it by making adjustments to it?

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think those sleds had about 10 in of travel. I'm not to shure but it seems to me that your shock is worn out. You also have one big spring on each side of the suspention. those would be a good idea to change too. If you whant a little more there are two holes on your tunnel for your suspention, to ajust your ride hite.

That about all I can tell you hope that helps.

ONE THING AT A TIME!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check the things you mentioned. The sled has 1100 miles on it and it was adult driven. You really think the suspension would be that beat up?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, the old Lite only has 6 inches of travel. Thats all she wrote for back then. If the suspension seems soft, try tightening up the eyebolts that the springs attach to in the rear. If they are tightened all the way and it still seems soft, your springs are history. The shock in the rear is just your basic hydrolic unit that just controls dampening. You can try putting in an aftermarket gas unit that will give it some firmness and rebound, but it depends on what you want to spend. It doesn't matter how many miles are on the thing, if the springs have been tight for the past 10 years, and not had the tension releaved during the summer monthes, they are most likely smoked. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Polaris dealer did say the shocks were hydrolic. As far as the springs, I can check that. Don't know if the previous owner losened the springs or not. My guess is they are set as they were when it was purchase back in 92. Well if I can't replace em this season it may bottom out a little more than normal. My wife will have to be careful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello: I have a couple of 92 indy lites and the rear suspension travel is only 6-7 inches. We have also worn out a shock. Seems it got iced up, was old, and got stuck in the down position. While you are in there replacing the rear shock, it is hydrolic, might as well replace the springs too. What a difference it made! The shocks are 22-29 dollars and the springs about 8 bucks each if i remember correctly. good luck, it is a great little sled that loves deep powder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts