Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the middle of trying to do a 136" extension to my 01 Po 600xc... I cut the track off and got the rear skid out but can't figure out an easy way to get the rear shocks out of the skid (I want to have them rebuilt). Is there a trick to doing this? or do I need to take the whole rear skid apart? I am a newbie I know... :)

2nd Question is there an easy way to get to the chain case or should I take the exhaust can off to make it more accessible?

I'll probably have more questions the further I go... I appreciate all your help and feedback...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Check this out.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15753

As for accessing the chain case definately remove the exhaust system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was looking at that post but couldn't figure out how it was that out in the open... i will remove exhaust and that should make it a buch easier...

Shocks out of skid tricks?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If the skid is out of the track, then the shocks just unbolt. I'm not sure why you think that's difficult. Do you have pictures of your skid?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The shocks just unbolt from the skid. One bolt at each end of each shock. If you have the skid out, it is easy.

Did you seriously CUT the track off? Was it bad? You will have to dig into the chaincase to get the new track on, anyway. Removing the exhaust is as simple as removing a few springs with a pair of vise grips. Maybe one bolt, too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I undid the bolts at the ends of the shocks but there are other wheels and bars and s*** in the way so there is no roonm to pull the bolt out of the shock to remove it, unless I undo a whole bunch more bolts... just wondering if there is a trick to compress the suspension or something so there is not stuff in the way so I can pull the bolt or if I have to start unbolting other stuff until there is room to pull it?

I did cut the track off... it was useless and just about to fall off in places anyway... it made it a lot easier to get the skid out with no track there. I do realize I will have to get into the chain case to get the new track back on... :) But removing the exhasust will help that a bunch I hope...now if I can just keep track of all the parts!

I'm a self-admitted ram rod at times so I am trying to be careful and not break anything I don't have to...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]I am trying to be careful and not break anything I don't have to...
Yeah, that is a good general rule that I try to follow, too.

For removing the shocks, all you can do is try to compress the suspension to get the bolts out, or just remove the other things that are in the way. The rear suspension is not too complicated, so that shouldn't be a problem. You could try to compress it with ratchet-straps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just started undoing other stuff and finally got them out... Thanks for the help and suggestions...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]I'm a self-admitted ram rod at times so I am trying to be careful and not break anything I don't have to...
If you take your time, and don't force things you won't break anything. To get the skid back in it'll cause you alot less headaches if you just tip the sled on its side. You can install the track that way too, just tip it to the left.

·
Registered
225 Posts
did ya break anything yet krapper??????

I'm out of town till your done!!

LOL

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^LOL^^ ya, I had my sled torn down pretty far over the summer and I was afraid that it wasnt gonna go back together very good, but it did. I used to think that sleds were a pain to work on but they are really pretty simple machines once ya tear into them(the older ones anyway [;)]).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone's a comedian aren't they? ha ha... Sent my shocks out yesterday and will wait for them to get back here before I start taping things back together... BTW V your neighbor made a nice shot in the 8th end last night to beat us... bastard...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hows it goin..ya done yet???
I'm gonna pick up my sleds this week and bring them to work and have the guys "dial them in"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts