Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 600 RMK, on the rear shock on the skid, there is a rod that attatches right under the shock. When the sled has no rider or load, the shock makes contact with the rod at the bottom mounting position. The contact has worn a small area on the shock and the rod(stock shocks). I just recentley changed the rear shocks and the contact is a little worse, it actually bent the rod slightly. Is there supposed to be any contact with this rod and the shock? The shocks now are aftermarket and are a little stiffer then the stock ones. I can only get the rod bolted up if the rear suspension is slightly compressed, this was true with the stock shock as well. Any ideas? Can modify the rod but want to see if anyone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Are you talking about the rods on each side of the shock that run parallel to the shock? It sounds like you are missing some spacers, or the lower shock bushing is the wrong size. The rod should not touch the shock.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
There is only 1 rod as the rmk's are uncoupled. The bushing may be worn or bent.

http://partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1168444410-27563&P=SM-2001-600-RMK-136-REAR-TORQUE-ARM

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay. I see the one rod. The shock should not hit it. Are you sure the hole you are using is meant to be a shock mounting location?

Those rods have nothing to do with coupling, though. It is the rear scissor stops and other geometrics that have to do with coupling.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I never said the rods had anything to do with coupling. I said there is only one rod with the uncoupled suspension.

[attachment=55447]

The coupling is the little dealy that is between the 2 shocks, it is mainly where the coupling comes into play.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I never said the rods had anything to do with coupling. I said there is only one rod with the uncoupled suspension.
Okay. I now understand what you were saying. I was slightly confused with the way I first read your post. I just wanted to clear up any confusion anybody else may have had.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XCR440 has the best picture with his link. There is only the one hole that the shock can be mounted in and the rod attatches right under it. The bushing is good but will replace it to make sure. The shock body is touching the rod, not the area where the bolt goes through. This was the same with my stock shock and the after market one.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If it makes contact with no load, doesn't it get worse as load is applied and the suspension compresses? Something is not right.

You could turn the shock around so the shaft end is toward the bottom. But that is just a band-aid fix. Something has to be bent or assembled wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts