Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The compression in my sled (96 xcr sp 600) is around90 psi on all three jugs, I was wundering if i could get away with just putting new rings in it, or should i buy the whole rebuild kit? I already looked at the tops of the pistons and they all look or appear to be fine. I haven't cracked it open yet but will be in the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate the general oppinion out there,,, thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
there was another post like this a week ago if you are in there doing rings just do the whole damn thing!!!!!!!!!!! it is a no brainer!!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do what is within in your budget. Rings will get you by no doubt about that. 90 psi is pretty low. When you got the jugs off make sure you take a little bit of sand paper to your ports and file down that sharp edge on the bottom half. If you have any piston slop your skirt can catch that and cause problems.

·
Registered
161 Posts
x2,
if you can afford it do it right and do it once.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Before you grab a wrench, you should verify your compression tester, or
check the sled with another gauge.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
gto0209 said:
bore it and do pistons, your cylinders are probably out of round if your compression is that low.
yup, I did the re-ring once, and it was a mistake. come to find out the cylinders were out of round and it broke a piston skirt and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For what it is worth, I put rings only in my 500 around 4500 miles. It now has over 8000 miles with no problems. I just honed out the jugs good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I can understand maybe one jug being out of round, but all three? My compression tester is new and i tested it against my air compressor and it checked out.. I'm thinking just rings at this point, but I guess I'll know more once I take it apart. Within the next week hopefully.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
snowmobilexcr said:
Yeah I can understand maybe one jug being out of round, but all three? My compression tester is new and i tested it against my air compressor and it checked out.. I'm thinking just rings at this point, but I guess I'll know more once I take it apart. Within the next week hopefully.
yeah, just mic out the cylinders

1 - 11 of 11 Posts