Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I have an 85 indy 400 and I am tearing the whole thing down engine, suspension ect. and i was wondering what are some key thing to check out?????? anything will help thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
just a couple things that come to mind---
1. change hyfax
2. check and replace any worn or rough idler wheels or bearings
3. check shock and spring condition, replace if needed.
4.check over track carefully, now is the time if you need to repair or replace.
5.limiter straps- worn or broke.
6.clutch operation dis-assemble primary and secondary, replace any worn buttons, ramps, springs, helix, etc...
7. good time to clean and sync carbs
8.due to sleds age- check all rubber hoses and fuel lines, etc..
9. chaincase- pull off cover, clean and inspect gears, chain, tensioner, etc..

you didn't mention why the engine is coming out, so i'm not sure where your going with that. i pull the rear skid out of my sleds yearly just to clean, adjust, inspect, get the shocks rebuilt (every year). it's nice to not have to wrench when you finally get the snow you've waited so long for!! but anyway, let us know why the engine is comin' out and you'll get more specific answers[:)][:)] hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The head gasket is leaking so i figured I would replace that and crank seals and check out the pistons and junk whill im at it

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also does anyone know where i can get a manual for this sled. the Local dealers dont want to mess with sleds now that there is no snow.

·
Registered
608 Posts
How many miles on it? Those 400's and most of the other polaris negines back then were known for PTO bearing failure. You should get about 7000 miles before problems. If you are in that range think about replacing them, it will save alot of time and money later. The main cause of this failure is that the oil port above the bearing is undersized. So drill the case out a little if you plan to split it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
if i were you, with the money you'll put into that old sled i would just look for a newer better sled. Trust me i've tried fixing an old sled (89 indy 500) and they will swallow your whole wallet. They wil take as much money as you want them to take. And when it's working good it just brwaks again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if this sled is a beater slap it together n run it till it pukes! parts on indys are easy to salvege for anothr sled

·
Registered
85 Posts
i recieved a new slp catalog yesterday, was looking through it lastnite and said to my wife...you know, you can spend as much on parts as a new sled costs!! lol
i think thats exactly what i'm going to do, sell her reasonable and get a much newer one soon, i'll buy this summer while the price is down! (hopefully) lol
i have found a 2002 mxz 600 with 312 miles for 4500...so, yippeeeee .....:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea thats what i have been debating. Its still a nice slead low miles and all that really needs to be replaced is a new seat cover. But it has been pretty reliable so far no major problems (knock on wood) so i think ill spend the $300 for a seat and some minor damage to the hood and new gaskets for the engine and then im done. So I figured i would save myself the couple thousand and ride it till it dies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts