Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've just taken my cylinders to be checked for round and to be re-bored if necessary. I'm looking into getting two new pistons and rings etc. I've seen prices for Wiseco and Kimpex in the order of $299 CDN ($230 on the Kimpex page, may be US$'s) - including 1 pistons, 2 rings, wrist pin, circlips and gasket set. Will need to get some wrist pin bearings as well.

Anyhow, need to look into cost of OEM Polaris parts for my '98 Indy 500.

So what's the issue with Wiseco pistons? They are build to OEM specs? How do people rate Kimpex vs. Wiseco. I'm not a racer, just a trial rider (eg. no sponsorship) so not looking for the cost effective way of improving performance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let me make a quick correction...the price of $299 CDN is for both pistons complete with rings, wrist pins, gaskets....a lot more reasonable than $340 US.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've just taken my cylinders to be checked for round and to be re-bored if necessary. I'm looking into getting two new pistons and rings etc. I've seen prices for Wiseco and Kimpex in the order of $299 CDN ($230 on the Kimpex page, may be US$'s) - including 1 pistons, 2 rings, wrist pin, circlips and gasket set. Will need to get some wrist pin bearings as well.

Anyhow, need to look into cost of OEM Polaris parts for my '98 Indy 500.

So what's the issue with Wiseco pistons? They are build to OEM specs? How do people rate Kimpex vs. Wiseco. I'm not a racer, just a trial rider (eg. no sponsorship) so not looking for the cost effective way of improving performance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Correction, the price of $299 CDN was for a pair of pistons, rings, wrist pins etc....much better than $340 US, albeit not OEM parts.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I would go with the Wisecos over the Kimpex pistons as they are precision matched and balanced. If you are going to do 2 you might as well do all 3. Here's a link where you can get the whole Wiseco 3 piston kit including gaskets for $304 US.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/index.html?id=cRzeF99D

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Sorry that site does not include the gaskets, but this one does for $340.

www.hiperf.com

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I poped the heads off last night just to get a little look at the cylinder walls... all three are exceptionally smooth, and minor amounts of carbon build up on the tops of the pistons...So unless I see a damaged piston when I poop off the cylinders It's only going to be a ring job...

As for wiseco rings VS OEM ...... You can bet I'm going for the $11 each wiseco's and not the $35 OEM's.... I'm selling it after one more season....and still... The OEM's can't be that much better than wisecos to justify an additional $24 per ring (that would be nearly an additional $150 just for the rings on my Ultra)

Sorry canadian fellas if you thought I was bashing your currencys value..... I was just being a wise ass.... in that it was going to cost $300 just for rings.... but I guess if I was crazy enough to get OEM only parts It nearly would cost that much in american greenbacks!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you go with Wiseco make sure you go with the proper piston clearance or your motor won't run very long. You need to have quite a bit more clearance with the Wiseco. I think the wiseco pistons are tough as hell but I never liked the rings. The rings aren't as good as OEM. Like I say this is only my opinion. Get what you pay for. Riley

·
Registered
206 Posts
Riley,
Where would you find the clearance spec for Wiseco vs. OEM pistons? Why would they be any difference - you don't want too much slop in there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I don't have the answer to your first question, but from what I understant the Wiseco pistons expand a bit upon initial warm up. If the gap between the piston and the cylinder is too tight, when they do warm up and expand........well, you get the picture. [:D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have Wiseco's in my XLT and they really work well. Much better lower end, more snappy. I do know that the guy who rebuilt my engine used a infrared thermometer when honing the cylinders to make sure that they were the right size only after they had cooled down to the exact temp as the pistons which were sitting out on the bench. He also said that all the earlier problems with Wiseco's overexpanding didn't really apply anymore though.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i wish th can adian dollar was higher i paid $40 per ring, plus $90 for 1 piston and another $350 so almost $700 to redo my triple polaris :( im some glad i didnt have the mono block xcr then i have to shell out $1500 for a new cyl

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
that $350 was for a refurbished cyl and i had to send them my old one or it would have been $450

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yeah, it cost me $600 to get new rings/pistons in my mono-block xcr :(
But i sold it after that happened :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
IMO wiseco is fine.. yes OEM may have better tolerances but I've used wiseco and had fine results. There one of the top piston manufacturers for a reason.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My $0.02 with regard to the manufacturing tolerances and expansion of Wiseco pistons.

Wiseco pistons are forged, your OEM may or may not be forged, they are probably cast. Forged pistons are stronger than cast but do expand a little more than a cast piston.

I believe Wiseco manufacturers their pistons to very tight tolerences. A set of Pro-Lite pistons for a snowmobile will be balanced (weight matched) and will usually be lighter and stronger than the OEM pistons.

In most cases you have little or no control over the piston to wall clearance because most cylinders are plated. You do need to make sure your ring end gap is correct though. I'd also suggest that anyone installing new pistons in a plated bore do a little research before they put a hone into the bore...if it's not honed properly it can actually reduce your ring seal.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
since you have the jugs off, i would sharpen the bottom off the casting were the air enters the jugs, rechamfer the boost port. big difference on bottom end. for a trail reliable sled i would stick with oem parts. a good dimond hone job will bring the hash back to the cylinders. check the cylinders for out of round top and bottom of the stroke. good idea to check crank run out and replace seals.

imo at this point i would have the jugs ported and polish wildly, the crank spin balanced and welded, all new bearings, set the heads down about .009 and lapped, then send the motor out for cryogenic freezing, then call me and I will have jeff at simons custom build some pipes, nichol chrome finish of course, clutch balances, a couple torque arms added into the engine bay, chrome moly front and rear suspension, carbon fiber hood and boss seat, digitron race gauge set up with alarm lights, epi light wieght steel gears, 1.25 track no studs, chrome moly steering post, with 3 inch riser, walker evans adjustable shocks front and back, kevlar belt cover, slp light wieght skis,
i think that would make a kick but trail sled.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts