Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided I'm going to rebuild my sled, pistons and rings. Before I order everything I want to make sure it's a 600, a friend of mine said it looked like a 700. How do you tell that? I was just going to look for engine numbers and run em. Also what if it's been gone through before and bored out, how would I figure that out? Also what else do I need to know before getting into this? Will I have to time it after? and how do I brake it in once done? and does anyone know the torque specs on the jugs and cap? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
On the recoil side of the engine there will be a part #, like EC60PL02 for 600 or EC70PL03 for a 700.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get us the model number off the engine. If it's EC59PL01 it is a 600. They didn't make a 700 in 96. That model came out in 1998. Once we figure out what engine you have I can get you the rest of the info you need.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you are suspicious that there is an ultra top end then measure the bore.

i would look for used ultra cylinders, heads and new pistons. it will bolt right up, and use the factory triple pipes you have, go to the parts list for an spx ultra for jetting and clutching specs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the number on the cylinder is EC68PL03. I got it all taken apart and I can tell it's been rebuilt once before. there was all kinds of gasket sealer and whoever did it must not have torqued anything because all the bolts didn't seem tightened the same. Anyway he either forgot to put a clip in of it fell out on the middle cylinder so there is a deep scratch on the sleeve. probable going to need a new one. First I gotta find out if its a 700 or 600. Anyone know what those numbers mean?

·
Registered
454 Posts
If the cylinder says EC68 then i would guess its a 680 ultra top end. I may be wrong....but it would make sence to me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yep them are 680 cylinders so they r from a 96-98 ultra or xcr. The only 700 was the 1999 xcr. I wounder if your motor was swapped or just the top end it is stamped in the case what the botton end is.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Its an ultra.... Yay another person on here in the ultra club whoooooo! hahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
snowmobilexcr said:
the number on the cylinder is EC68PL03. I got it all taken apart and I can tell it's been rebuilt once before. there was all kinds of gasket sealer and whoever did it must not have torqued anything because all the bolts didn't seem tightened the same. Anyway he either forgot to put a clip in of it fell out on the middle cylinder so there is a deep scratch on the sleeve. probable going to need a new one. First I gotta find out if its a 700 or 600. Anyone know what those numbers mean?
That's an ultra spx motor. If it's been bored over the pistons usually will say .010, .020, or .030 on the top. Standard bore is 2.6220" If you don't have the tools, find a good shop to take it to. They can measure the cylinders and check the damage. If you need torque values let me know. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it's bored out, but am going to take the cylinders to my local polaris dealer and see what they say. I'm thinking I mind as well have it bored out .020 or .040 over. What would that make it, the engine displacement? 750 or 780 or something like that. Anyway yeah if you have those torque specs handy I would appreciate it. Thx

·
Registered
222 Posts
well, i don't know about the size of your motor BUT I did rebuild my past sled(1995 Indy 500) and after doing the pistons and rings etc. there was a break in period. It was a few years ago but i believe for the first thirty miles i didn't go over thirty miles an hour. it kinda sucked but its better than having to do it all over again!

Good luck! my buddy has an ultra motor in his xcr and loves it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those cylinders are nikasil coated and can't be bored out without recoating them. There also isn't any oversize pistons available to just overbore them, so boring doesn't make much sense. Your best bet is to find a good used cylinder or send your damaged one out for recoating.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1fastxc is right. There is no oversized for that motor. Your best bet would to have the damage checked but you are probaly going to need a new cylinder. The other ones should juct clean up with scotch brite.

·
Registered
61 Posts
you could always bore, and replate to an 800 and use storm pistons. but id suggest using different porting for that as well

·
Registered
334 Posts
The walls would be too thin. You would need to run a cast iron sleeve and definitely re-port it since the timing edge on a storm piston is different compared to an ultra piston.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts