Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a new crank in my 580. Should I lube her up with break in oil like you do on a truck?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If your asking should you coat the crank and bearings in oil, the answer is yes. Coat everything well with 2-stroke oil, spin the bearings to make sure they all get coated real well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tfin I going to put her together tonight. By the way what about break in?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Also be sure to coat your pistons and rings, and the inside of your jugs with 2-stroke oil as well.

For break-in, I personally like to run mixed gas along with the oil injection. This provides added lube during the break-in process. I like to run a 50:1 ratio (50 parts gas to 1 part oil) for the first full tank.

There's two schools of thought here. Some say to break it in the way your going to ride it. While others say to baby it for the first 100 to 200 miles.

I'm right in the middle of both. When I first run it, I take it easy. The MOST IMPORTANT thing though is to constantly vary the throttle posistion and rpm's. Quarter throttle, up to three quarter, down to half, but not wide open yet. Don't stay in one postition too long. Then after I get a good 20 to 30 miles on it, I'll bump it up to wide open for a quick blip (couple of seconds), but still varying the throttle position.

The more mile you get on, the less you need to vary rpms, and the harder you can ride it. Again, this is just the way I do it, others do it differently. But it works for me. I've got 428 miles on after my rebuild and she's running like a champ! Good luck.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
btw, you always want premix for the first tank, because of the fact that usually you have disconnected the oil lines feeding your motor, and they will now have air in them, which could cause major problems if you don't run some premix in your first tank till the bubbles go through.

-Dean

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I got a problem. When the old crank went the middle bearing pin, (the one that stops the bearing from spining in the casing) was forced into the casing now there is not enough pin left to stop that bearing from spinning. I have tried everything to get the pin to come up. Will this hurt the crank or case? And do I need to put gasket maker between the top and bottom half of the crank case?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have some of the pin sticking up still. If I built it up with J B weld do you think it would hold?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts