Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there is a site that has a step by step instructions on rebuilding the top end of an engine from my XCR440 94'. I blew mine up last year and was interested in rebuilding it myself. Ive work on the snowmobiles and everything but stayed away from the engine because i don't want to screw **** up. So if you could help that would be excellent. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive never rebuilt and engine before now either, and my advice to you is just to go for it and have some fun. Is really a lot more simple than it sounds or looks. As long as your procced slowly and keep everything in order youll be fine. If you get stuck with something just ask here or elsewhere. A service manual for your sled is always useful as well.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
2 strokes are extremely simple in concept and design. This, in and of itself makes it extremely easy to work on for the first timer.

I would suggest going to your local Polaris dealer and getting the repair manual for it. In the manual it will have detailed instructions on engine tear down and build up. Also in the manual you will find things such as torque specifications, tolerances...etc.

When my ZRT engine destroyed itself I rebuilt my own engine. It was my first time doing anything engine related. I bought the repair manual and took my time and everything came out good, and I learned a lot.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
"Just go for it".

What is the installed ring end gap for your sled? Minimum piston to cylinder wall clearance? How about out-of-round? Got those off the top of your head? This is why it is the best investment you can make to get a service manual. That way when you spend the money on your parts, you are putting things together correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts