Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, have a serious idle issue with the new rebuilt 92 twin.

When cold it seems to idle reasonably (maybe 2200-2400), but whenever you give it throttle it bogs big time....no revving at all. Then when warmer, it will rev when hitting the throttle but it will soar to 3000-3200 and stay there. If you flip the choke on and off it will come back down to a reasonable idle but then after about 2 or 3 seconds it will soar again.

I already backed off the idle screws a good half to 3/4 turn and absolutely no difference. I sync'd them by using the 1/16" drill bit method and then getting the idle screw to just touch....i was told that method is supposed to get you very close to proper idle.

So now i am really stumped. It seems like it is to lean since the choke brings it back down but i have new seals, gaskets and carb boots and fuel pulse line.

Can anyone help? I want to get to breaking in this puppy!

thanks.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Last month, my XLT was doing just about what your saying. Would idle fine, but when warm or when you give it gas, it would shoot to 3-3500 RPM and just stay there and not come down. What fixed my problem was adjusting my oil pump, adjusting the air mixture screws, clean the carbs better, and synch all cables. Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Make sure your pilot jets are clean it doesn't take muck to plug them it sounds like a carb issue should not hace any thing to do with the oil pump.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
try richening your idle circuit (turn up your idle) ive seen two xlts with this problem this year, both would rev high, particularly after running them or touching the cables...sync the throttle cables, richen up the idle circuit and set your ariscrews so they richen up too...try it out..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Here is some more info: carbs were completely cleaned before reassembly of engine (new jets and needles as well). Slides and oil pump were all sync'd. The air screws it says to start at 1 turn and work from there but everyone always says you should be at 1.5 to 2 turns out and mine were at 1.5 last year so i just set them right to 1.5. Carb boots are brand new and were tightened down good....even a little oil on the o-ring for sealing.

Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]try richening your idle circuit (turn up your idle) ive seen two xlts with this problem this year, both would rev high, particularly after running them or touching the cables...sync the throttle cables, richen up the idle circuit and set your ariscrews so they richen up too...try it out..
I am not quite following about richening the idle circuit.....isn't that what the air screws do?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by eddiejr
[br]Thanks for the replies guys. Here is some more info: carbs were completely cleaned before reassembly of engine (new jets and needles as well). Slides and oil pump were all sync'd. The air screws it says to start at 1 turn and work from there but everyone always says you should be at 1.5 to 2 turns out and mine were at 1.5 last year so i just set them right to 1.5. Carb boots are brand new and were tightened down good....even a little oil on the o-ring for sealing.

Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]try richening your idle circuit (turn up your idle) ive seen two xlts with this problem this year, both would rev high, particularly after running them or touching the cables...sync the throttle cables, richen up the idle circuit and set your ariscrews so they richen up too...try it out..
I am not quite following about richening the idle circuit.....isn't that what the air screws do?

thanks.
First, yes.. that's what the air screws do (in conjuction with your pilot jet).
Sounds like a high-idle-lean condition. Did you replace the pilots? If so, are you 100% you put the same size back in? You may have purchased replacement that were stock but someone changed them before you had the sled to fix a high-idle problem.

Try turning your air screws in 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn at a time.

My XCR is known for high-idle-lean condition and the best thing to do is replace the pilots with one size bigger. Well I'm ghetto so I decided to go the free route and turn my air screws in 1/4 turn which puts them at 3/4 of a turn out. There's a chance of loading up (hasn't happened yet and I've let it idle a looooong time), but I plan on replacing them when the season is over.

Bryan

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
First, yes.. that's what the air screws do (in conjuction with your pilot jet).
Sounds like a high-idle-lean condition. Did you replace the pilots? If so, are you 100% you put the same size back in? You may have purchased replacement that were stock but someone changed them before you had the sled to fix a high-idle problem.

Try turning your air screws in 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn at a time.

My XCR is known for high-idle-lean condition and the best thing to do is replace the pilots with one size bigger. Well I'm ghetto so I decided to go the free route and turn my air screws in 1/4 turn which puts them at 3/4 of a turn out. There's a chance of loading up (hasn't happened yet and I've let it idle a looooong time), but I plan on replacing them when the season is over.

Bryan
[/quote]
Yep, pilots replaced and positive they are the same size (looked with a magnifying glass). Same as stock and what was in there last year when running without this issue.

I wil give the air screws a try, although i remember last year turning them did absolutely nothing to the idle. I even turned them in all the way and nothing....carbs and passages have been thoroughly cleaned too.

What do you mean by "loading up"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts