Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I just bought a powder special and the topend was blown. So in the process of figuring out why it blew up AGAIN (the guy blew it up a few times before I bought it) we decided to check the crank seals. So we had to split the whole bottom end apart and take out the crank to change the seals. The bottom of the crank there was a bit of shavings but nothing too bad from the pistons. When we put it back together I bought this synthetic oil from Canadian tire and it was garunteed for arctic cat snowmobiles, injector safe and mixable and so on. But I remember someone telling me to burn my first tank of oil on normal 2 stroke oil as its thicker and then switch to sythetic? Now I'm not sure what I should've done. We also cleaned the crank with varsole to remove any metal shavings so ONlY synthetic is in there now, and all its burnt its whole life (anything to do with being blown up 3 times?) is arctic cats own synthetic. Also I was told to premix my first few tanks of gas after the topend rebuild but was also told not to because it would screw up the efi injectors? I don't know what to think right about now... theres always 2 stories to every question I ask.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Run whatever oil you plan on using on a daily basis. And run a little premix for the first tank. 100ml or so is what i used for a full tank.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Check this out i asked about the same kinda stuff last weekend Heres the Link to the Post:
Hope it helps you as much as it did for me![:p]

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57890

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asome, that helps alot Brendan. But I still don't know what to use! Apparently I'm using the wrong one?

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
My mechanic told me to break in my Formula 3 with whatever I intended to use on a daily basis.

With that said, I personally wouldn't run synthetic in that sled. The Cat 50:1 oil is adequate and usually reasonably priced at that. Therefore, I wouldn't have a problem of synthetic or not. (Yes, I realize that last tidbit doesn't help you much, but I'm running a '98 ZR, so we have the same motor.)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw
[br]Asome, that helps alot Brendan. But I still don't know what to use! Apparently I'm using the wrong one?
Use a regular oem oil(non syn.) for 1 tank then switch to
a good synthetic if you like.

Amsoil's interceptor is a great oil for power valves or
non P/V's, it's fully synthetic.

don't baby it too much give it some good WOT pulls but not
for long...

that syn. that you used to assemble will hurt nothing

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it wont mix funny with the syn. already in the crank? I was thinking about going through one tank on normal oil just to be on the safe side with letting my rings break in. So do I mix regular or syn when I premix the gas? What about when I pour some syn oil in (to be safe) at like 1/4 tank, will it mix weird? Or not mix or something?

·
Registered
159 Posts
you make it sound like there is oil still in the crank case? This is a 2 stroke...no oil sits in this motor, it is injected with the fuel/air mixutre.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ya...no oil should be sitting in the crank case all you neede to do was coat it all lightly in the oil befor you put it back together...they call it pre lubing the moving parts in the engine

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I gave it a heathy shot of oil in the crank bearings because I know there is shavings in the bearings still. There isn't very much in there now but when I first puller the engine there was atleast a cm or 2 sitting in the bottom of the crank.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if theres shavings in the bearings......youre screwed. youre gonna wipe out your crank as well as the top end. you need to clean that 110% you ask why its blown up 3 times? what about jetting, has any mods been improperly done? air leaks? theres something not right. youre about to cost yourself alot of money. id sit down and do some homework. and while youre at it, pull that crank back out. no amount of oil in there is gonna save you on that one.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if its only like BARELY rough? Will I get a season out of it atleast? Because if I have to take it apart to get those little aluminum shaving out then thats gonna be really hard. I can't them bearings off anyways to clean them so I'd have to press the crank apart or try and blow the shavings out with an air compressor. Pressing the crank apart is out of the question though, or I wont be riding at all this season. I was already having second thoughts about those bearing right after we put it together.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it is only aluminum and you did a good job of cleaning things out you should be ok.... one little peice of ring or a circlip and you will be screwed. Those things seem to find thier way to the top of the piston and bounce around for a lot longer than you would think possible. As far as oil is concerned, just use the regular cat oil, polaris blue or yamalube 2. don't waste your money on the expensive synthetics. I use yamalube 2 and have had no problems other than not having to clean my ves valves in my 800 polaris's............ a good 40:1 dose for the first tank is more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if that bottom end aint clean. better get your buddy with a trailer on speed dial. keep that cell phone with ya. i aint sayin youre guaranteed to break down ,but i also aint gonna tell you that loaded gun isnt gonna go off while youre playing with it. i dont know bout you, but id rather chance missing a ride then a cold walk. yea maybe a lil aluminum shavings wont hurt it, but what if they do. if you know it wasnt clean you shouldnt have put it back together. may get a season may get 3 seasons. it isnt a science. might also get 5 miles. if youre a gambling man, take the risk. ive risked some crazy stuff myself. but it usually bit me in the ass when i was done.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But it isn't just a matter of taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. I would need to send the crank off to get pressed apart and will not be riding this season. I wish it was a simple matter but isn't alot I can do right now. In the sring I should have enough to get a new motor so I might just do that because this motor has had so many problems and I'm already taking a chance with re useing the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do it right...take it back apart.

Invest the time and money now, or it will leave you stranded and without a sled. Than you definitely won't be riding this season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts