Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an indy trail , anyone have any experience with this sled ? does anyone know how many miles the track is good for? and any good sites for puchasing tracks? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
the indy trail is very good reliable sled...the 488 fuji motor is bulletproof...with proper care a trck should last at least 4to 5 k....a track will cost about 300 i would check ebay...yu might fiind a good deal there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well if the track isn't ripped or frayed too bad, you don't need one yet. magnaman was just giving an estimation of a track's life. If it still looks good run it. If its missing some of the metal clips, you can purchase those seperately and put them on the old track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have another question , What is the average clutch engagement Mine is about 4000 , but it seems to ride really high .I cleaned the cluthes not too long ago, maybe i didn't a good enough job there wasn't much difference . Any suggestions

·
Registered
129 Posts
4000 is ok ...yure belt should ride about 1/16 of an inch above the sheaves on yure secondary...and there should be a slight drag on the primary...not enuff to turn the track tho....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hey magnaman,

This is off topic but...I was looking at your sir name and wondering why magnaman...so I checked your profile (all the while not noticing your signature)...and sure enough there it was. That is one sweet looking bike! How do have only 6k on that thing? Anyways, check out my profile, not a V65, just the little brother the V45(VF700C). Nowhere near yours in looks plus 65k on the clock. You gotta agree thou, quite possibly the best bikes ever made.

peace out
dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi pigboy i picked up this bike two yrs ago sitting in the corner of a garage..with a bedsheet over it....it had 2800 miles on it then....been sitting for quite some time so i had to change every fluid on the thing and change the fork seals ...new rubber..battery...put a top end oiling kit on it also from v4honda.com...its got a k/n air filter and cobra f1 slip ons...ive got some more toys for it in the closet for spring....yes indeed i luv the honda v 4 bikes this is my third one...it runs so smooth and has so much power....ive had it going 140 and it will go faster...as for the low mileage....the first summer i had it was spent restoring....and last summer was less than average for good bikin up here in maine ...the clock just turned 6k when i parked it in my friends barn....nice to meet a fellow v4 fan......peace in...dale

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a indy trail to and the engagement that i have seen on mine and all of the other ones i have driven is 3600-3800 RPM's. Your sled should produce 55-58 horsepower and the top speed is about 90 mph(on a straight). Word of advice, turn up the oil injection oiler. All of these sleds i have seen don't like to keep crank bearings in them. Have fun on your new machine!!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Tracks are not shot at 5000 miles. Not even close. I know of a 1995 Indy 440 with over 12000 miles, original track, and it's almost to the point of replacing, but it's not frayed or anything, just the lugs are getting kind of small.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks for all the input, appreciated , . I will definately inspect my track , but it sounds like I will get another winter or 2 on it . 10 centimetres on the way Saturday ,

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have a 98 Indy Trail and it is a nice machine reliable and fairly good on gas. One thing is I highly doubt you will make 90 mph on this sled unless you'd change the gearing.

What year is your sled anyway?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mine is a 1989. And yes it will run 90 not over just 90mph. And no i havent touched my gearing or anything else for that matter. just a little clutch tinkerin. I drove a 1996 trail with 2500 miles and it worked nothing like mine. I plan on putting a aaen pipe and boring to 509cc. Wanna Race.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts