Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does ti really pay to recharge shocks every 100miles like recommended??...people put on more than 100 miles in 1 trip...now i see maybe before the season begins every year but every 100miles??...is it expensive i have yet to do it so im just wondering

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
EVERY 100 MILES!?! Who told you that??? I don't feel any need to rebuild mine untill some where between 1000-1500 miles, maybe even 2000.

It also depends on the shock and how you ride. Obviously someone doing snow cross is going to need their shocks rebuilt before someone that just trail rides.

If you've got a decent shock (Fox, RydeFX, etc) you really shouldn't need to have them rebuilt any more than once per season, unless your putting on major miles.

As for price, it depends on where you take em. But around here (Central Maine) $30 per shock is about average.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
100 miles...LOL.

Only snocross racers do that. They tear down the sled, (engine, shocks, suspension, etc..) right down to the bones after each major racing event. They can't afford to have a single thing go wrong, plus they recalibrate everything too. Especially the amazing Open Mod sleds, they are trully amazing pieces of expensive machinery.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Add another zero and I would say yeah it's worth it. But not every hundred miles, why not just throw your money in the snow? LOL

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol...thanks...i have heard from a person in the service department and some supposed snowmobiling experts that they said 100miles i thought they were nuts too because it would get really expensive...but thanks for the help

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
425 Posts
My dealer told me that the shocks should be recharged at least every other year depending on how many miles you drive and how you drive. Also some people like to rebuild them every season. He said if they are not leaking then you should have to do anything other than recharge them.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
892 Posts
There are two things that can be done to gas shocks: Charging and Rebuilding. When they Rebuild shocks they take them apart and clean up all the seals and get the water out of them.

When you Charge a shock, the gas used for compression inside is "refreshed". Of course when you get a shock rebuild you must also get it charged.

What I have heard/do is get my shocks recharged after a good year of riding 1500 miles? I get them rebuilt every other year to make sure they get cleaned out.

Some people buy kits and do it themselves, but these people are usually racers, who do it after every race or they also do it for someone else. I leave it to the guys at the shop.

You can also have your shocks revalved for more or less dampening.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
My trail sled gets it once a season, but my dad who doesn't ride as much or as hard does it every other year and thats probably not neccesary. The race sled gets new oil and cleaning after every race weekend. They are not that bad to do yourself, I just learned last year. The only problem is there is alot of tools you need to get.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well guys this is just my opinion, but i feel that 5 years or 2,000 miles whichever comes first. Unless you see them leaking or know that one is blown, i wouldnt worry about it until then. My sled is a 2000 and this will be my 3rd winter, granted i only have 700 miles on it due to the poor snowfall we had last year, but before i put my sled away for the summer i soak the shock shafts with wd-40 to keep from rusting and pitting of the shaft. It also keeps some lubricity on the seals. I have yet to notice any difference on my sled since new. Once again this is only my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i have a 01 mxzx that i got and it all looked good but i took the shocks out and when i has one upside down and i copressed just the shock there was gas in the oil, but there were no signs of leaking, it was probably nitrogen from the resevoir that leaked into the oil, looks can be desceiving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts