Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 Indy Trail's recoil is not working. The sled recently froze up, water froze the flywheel in place and the recoil wouldn't catch to pull it over. I used a propane torch to warm the flywheel enough to break it loose, and I used my strap wrapped around the clutch to start it. I ran it for a while until it warmed up enough and the recoil worked just fine, but now that it has sat a while the recoil won't catch anymore. Would it just have re-froze, or is the recoil starting to go out?

·
Registered
591 Posts
take it off and take a look, take the pipe off so you have some room, and pull the five 6mm bolts, they use a 10mm socket, you might need a gearwrench to get to the bottom one, pull it and see if the pawl comes out when you pull it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You might have melted the Friction plate. Make sure if you do take off the recoil do not take out the small bolt in the middle of it. If you do take it out there is a recoil spring in there that might pop out and then you will have to get it back in the area. Make sure that you do not loose the rope in the recoil. Tie a knot in the rope at the casing. hope for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts