Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was getting my phazer all fine and dandy and going to replace the recoil rope because it broke the other day. well i get it off and am about to put the new rope on and the spring comes undone. what do i do now? I would like to get everything back together asap. got any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You can rewind the spring. Kind of tricky and will take a few tries your first time. Just dont loose a finger! lol

·
Registered
848 Posts

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/YAM/2/SMB/1987/PZ480L/IMAGES/STARTER.Gif

Thats the assembly anyway, might help. 1987 phazer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
01ZR600 said:
You can rewind the spring. Kind of tricky and will take a few tries your first time. Just dont loose a finger! lol
well i keep trying but the spring is to greasy and i cant get it tight enough. ive been at it for about a half hour now

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Wind the spring onto the metal piece. #3 In the picture posted.

Hook the spring on, start from the outside of #3 and work your way in. Dont let go of the spring until you are completely done though or it will all unravel.

When you are done the spring will just hold itself in there. Then add it to the case. If there is room, you can pull the rope through and wind the spring in the case. If not you have to take the rope out and wind the spring up, then attach the rope and let the spring go. It should suck the rope in then.

Hope this makes some sense to you. Like i said it takes a few tries the first time to get it right.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
yea the recoils are a pita

·
Registered
918 Posts
bokeson said:
ya im done with this sled. who wants to buy it? give me an offer
HAHA i cant count the number of times ive came stormin into the house yelling to all that if they hand me a 20 my sled is theres. LOL Its all part of the fun I suppose.

Recoils are a bear though. all else fails try to find someone who knowshow t do it and ask if they will help ya out.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
depending on the recoil housing on how big it is, sometimes i put the center of the spring in place, and just work my way out.

other times i have used a large flat head screw driver, clamped the housing to the bench, lock the center in place, and then just start twisting the screw driver.

no matter what way you do it its a bear. the biggest thing is to use some long clamps to hold the housing to the bench, then you have two hands to put on the spring.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
not sure if it works on sleds been a while since i did one, but on small 5 horse briggs engines, you can nail to nails ina board about and inch apart and hook the sping on one nail and wrap arong the other ones then lift the spring off and slide it onto the recoil piece, or just take a rag and wipe it down

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well my cousin who knows everything about sleds and works on the for a living wont help me with the recoil or the carbs and its just getting to the point where im just going to say screw the sled and im going to buy a newer one. its for sale if anyones interested

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
maybe your cousin doesnt know as much has he thinks.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh I tryed to fix mine once. Didn't work out so I took it in to the dealer to be fixed. 60 bucks. But at least I got to ride the next weekend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
madcow said:
maybe your cousin doesnt know as much has he thinks.
well im pretty sure he does but ok. hes just an alcoholic who never wants to do anything but im going to try anf get it myself. i got it one time but i put it in wrong :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
i know how you feel about recoils ha, just takes a ton of time and really is a pita.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
see...and you were gonna get rid of it. hard work pays off [thumb]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im still getting rid of it cuz its a pita to work on. im goin back to good old reliable ARCTIC CAT

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
^^^^^^ good luck finding one of them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts