Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride last weekend. Stopped for a break, went to start sled, and recoil wouldn't catch. Fortuanlly, the sled was warm, and I was able to start it using the primary clutch.

Anyways, looks like the recoil cover comes off easy as can be. But then what? Any ideas what to look for, what the problem might be and such.

dan

http://216.37.204.202/polaris_oem/PolarisSnow.asp?Type=13&A=154&B=24

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
What's your sled? Most likely the little pawls or the little spring are damaged. Isn't too hard to fix. JUST DON'T F*CK WITH THE BIG SPRING! Trust me, that spring is the most PITA think you will ever have if it goes unsprung.

·
Registered
699 Posts
yep dont mess with the big one i just rebuilt my recoil its a pain in the a$$ to put one of those big springs in strust me

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
actually the big spring isnt that hard to do. i have mastered the recoil. i can rip apart put new big spring all new other parts and have it all back together in 10 minutes. ive been doing it for 13 years or so now tho

·
Registered
227 Posts
AND I REPEAT DON'T MESS W/ THE BIG SPRING!!
Bob, I'll be sending you mine if it ever lets loose. [;)]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]What's your sled? Most likely the little pawls or the little spring are damaged. Isn't too hard to fix. JUST DON'T F*CK WITH THE BIG SPRING! Trust me, that spring is the most PITA think you will ever have if it goes unsprung.
Rippard,

Sorry, the sled is a '97 XLTsp.

Are you referring to number 7 on the below diagram as being the little spring? Someone else also suggested that this might be my problem. I'm going to take a look at it the weekend. What percautions do I have to take to make sure the the big spring doesn't come unsprung?

http://216.37.204.202/polaris_oem/PolarisSnow.asp?Type=13&A=154&B=24

·
Registered
699 Posts
when you start removeing the pulley place your hands under it and hold the spring down as you pull the pulley off. try that and if the big one does happen to come out close your eyes they can make you go blind if they happen to hit your eyes

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
sure you can send it to me. i dont mind doing recoils at all. everyone i know that ever has a recoil problem asks me to fix it on ANY type of motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts