Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recoil rope pulls out without engaging the pawl. It just pulls out and goes back in. So I know the large recoil spring is ok. My question is does anyone know exactly what it is in there that I need to replace so that the pawl engages to turn the engine over?

I have electric start, but I like having the recoil as a backup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you tried to pull it out and let it go back in jerkingly. That helped for me one time and got it to re-catch. Just a thought.

Gigerous

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya it might just be warn out.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i had that same problem on my 600. i took it off and cleaned all the old grease off regreased it with white litium grease and it worked perfectly again. the grease they use on those does break down and actually makes the parts stick. just give it a good cleaning and regrease it and you should be good to go

·
Registered
608 Posts
What type of sled is it? Most of the new sleds have a heavy duty pawl that will not wear out. They require friction to operate so if it is sticky or it loosened up then it will not work. Take it off and check it out. It's a simple procedure.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On Sun, no matter how much I jerked it, it wouldn't engage, just would go in and out. Then I was checking a few things over on it last night and I pulled on the cord for the he!! of it, and low and behold it engaged again.......sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's a 97 XLT SP 600. I'll try just pulling the recoil off and cleaning and regreasing it like some just suggested. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The recoil starters are pretty simple. I think after you pull it off and look at it it will be an easy fix. Pay attention to how it is put together though before you take it apart.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My buddies wife's '97 XLT has the same problem. We have done everything to that recoil, no luck. The dealer even gave us a whole new one, cover and all. It doesn't do it when it's cold, just after it is warmed up. I'm begining to believe the problem is on the motor end.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, I don't see how that could be. I had the recoil off when I was doing my engine rebuild. The pawl engages this cage thing (looks like a hampster wheel) that is screwed onto the water pump pully, thats secured to the fly wheel. These are of course all connected to the crank. The engine always turns over when using the elec start, and theres always compression too. I think its got to be in the recoil assembly itself. Something worn out or sticking, but thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
when you have the recoil/ pump belt shroud off, there is a little nut. you can remove this nut without worring about the large spring. i just put a new rope on a 93 500. now after you take the nut off, the cover will come off, this is where you need to bee careful. once this piece is off, on the underside there is a large clip. if you dont see one, this is why your haveing trouble. this clip is what actually engages the paw. also, if you are gonna replace the paw itself, there is a little spring underneth. fairly simple it is. if for some reason the recoil spring blows up, simply wind it back up in your hands as tight as you can get it, then take a pair of needle nose vise grips, and put them on the spring, this will keep it from blowing up again while you put it back in its place. it took me a few attempts, but i found this to work the best. the clean every thing and do like bobby said, a little white lithium.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 97 xc 600 does this too. If you kill the ignition & spin the clutch back & forth it sometimes jiggles the pawls loose.....works for mine almost every time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts