Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ski doo gtx 550f and the muffler gets glowing red hot if i ride it over 80 km per hour for more than a few km. Anyone know why it gets so hot?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do a plug check when it happens. If it's lean the spark plug just below the electrode will be white instead of a tan color. Provided the plugs aren't brand new and have a few hours on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. So when I do this test, i can use the plugs I've been using all season? I don't need to use newer plugs for the test?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
First check the plugs that are in it. Get it hot then shut it down while at speed and check them. If you cant tell for sure, get a new set and check a few more times. I actually had a similar problem years ago where my can almost caught my sled on fire. I chased the problem for a bit and eventually replaced the needles in the carbs (the needle seat in my XC isn't replaceable) and it fixed the problem. While running extra liquid fuel was apparently passing through the engine and burning in the can. I guess it wasn't burning because it wasn't atomizing and was able to pass through the engine.....? Either way, it was extra fuel burning in the can. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the reply! I will do that! So the needles I'm replacing are the long things that move up and down. Not the 'needle and seat' thing right? And should I just replace it with the original needle size? How do needles go bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First check the plugs that are in it. Get it hot then shut it down while at speed and check them. If you cant tell for sure, get a new set and check a few more times. I actually had a similar problem years ago where my can almost caught my sled on fire. I chased the problem for a bit and eventually replaced the needles in the carbs (the needle seat in my XC isn't replaceable) and it fixed the problem. While running extra liquid fuel was apparently passing through the engine and burning in the can. I guess it wasn't burning because it wasn't atomizing and was able to pass through the engine.....? Either way, it was extra fuel burning in the can. Hope this helps
Thanks! I forgot to reply with quoting you. But I left a response above

1 - 8 of 8 Posts