Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the dye in red accessories tend to break down, fade and crack. Things like skis and hood screens etc..

I;m thinking of ordering red C & A razors instead of black, but i want them to last.

Has anyone else heard this before?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I know there was a safety concern involving the red skis on the firecats and sabercats, and they were recalled.

I'd think that if C&A sells red skis they most likely don't have that problem. They wouldn't make any money selling junk.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think it depends on storage. If your sled is stored year round in direct sunlight, they may discolor. We had a '05 T660 Turbo ST (the red one) at our dealership, that we bought at auction at the factory. We thought it must have been outside because some of the red plastic parts like the nose piece were faded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Their was issues in the past with the red polaris accessories for sure. But I think thats been resolved. They had quit making the red for a 1 or 2 and are now doing it again. The older red was detearating fast, both in color and strength. Or so I'm told. Storage is certainly a factor. The sun lays a licking on them. One thing that bothers me though, is the fact that they stopped making the red screen kits for the fusions in 06. I was told from the dealer that it was a supply issue, and that no one had wanted them. Think I'm gonna take my black ones off and have them painted at an auto paint shop, with a clear coat. Not to sure but cant see why something like a ski loop couldnt be painted there as well. Red cars are everywhere, lol.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sunlight is the killer. I have red ski loops on my xcr. I got them in 98 they have still mint, no cracks or mis colored. I just purchased a pair of c&a's in red and they are doing good. I got them new/left overs at haydays. Not sure how old they are.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Sunlight is the killer.
Exactly. I had red loops on my Simmons skis, and the previous owner never covered them in the summer, and they became so brittle, they broke while grabbing them to pull my sled around. Even if they now say UV resistant, I will always cover my skis from now on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even if they now say UV resistant, I will always cover my skis from now on.
[/quote]

Probably not a bad idea. Sad to say but due to the renovations i had going on this summer my sled sat outside all summer, skis uncovered. And not a hint of fading on the hoops. None the less it will be the last season it sees outside, and if it has to be it will be covered.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does everyone think that red will be safe to buy. I plan on putting these on my next sled and put the stock skis back on my fusion.

My sled is stored indoors and travels in an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You will be fine, only time mine see's the sun is out riding.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I also have red razors and they are a kick but ski and the my skis seem to be in good condition... i dont leave it out in the sun though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts