Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
Iam in the process of dropping a 1973 Arctic Cat Kawasaki 440cc engine in my EZGO Golf cart, I need to know what the redline or max safe engine rpm's are of this motor. I have a tach and i want to make sure i do not blow the engine. Also does anyone know the horsepower of this engine?

-Geoff

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Is it a fan cooled or liquid cooled engine?

Fan is probably around 6800 or 7000 RPM, Liquid is probably 7800 to 8000 RPM

I'm just guessing. Someone else may actually know what the RPM's are.

As for HP, Fan would be around 50, Liquid probably around 60.

Once again, just guesses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is fan-cooled. Anybody know any tips about these engines or things i should be aware of?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
dude, keep it under 6000rpm and it will last forever. Not to mention it will most likely go QUITE FAST at those revs. Especially with a CVT (belt) drive.

Make sure the motor can get adequate cooling air and duct work. It may not be enough since it will be operating in warmer temps, you may need to have a electric fan forcing air through the motor, but IDK. I know a l/c motor with a handmade radiator/fan combo would work sweet.

-Dean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya but 6000rpm wont be enough, at 5000rpm is goes about 20 mph because of the 13.32 gearing. This thing is a torque MONSTER! What can i do to make it safely rev higher?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
you need to change your gearing up then... Cause i know for a fact that that motor is way too much for a golf cart. You could put (much) larger diameter tires on, lol, maybe that would help.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
iv seen 440 cat powered gokarts go over 70 mph...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yeah. Just think about how much drag is in a sled. your pushing skis across snow, you have a pretty inefficient propulsion system (track), you have a pretty inefficient drivetrain (belt and clutches). Now put standard gears in, and tires all around, and holy hell you'll have a fast vehicle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, sounds good, ive just gotta find a way to get higher gears. the 13.32's that it has now will make it go about 30 mph, but it will wheelie or fog the tires forever.

·
Registered
586 Posts
wow, geoff, this sounds like a pretty silly project.I sounds like something me & my friends would try to do.Thumbs up!What class do you race that thing in??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not gunna be racing in any class, its just gunna be a home off road wheeler cart. Man these golf carts go go anywhere.

·
Registered
586 Posts
hehehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts