Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Looking for some input on reeds.
I met a guy on the trail with a 99 500XC like mine, only he had a few upgrades like a can, and Boyesen reeds. He said they made a big difference in throttle response, and boggy mid-range.

My XC has 3200 miles on it, and was thinking of at least looking at the stock reeds to see if they are OK, but might look at just changing to aftermaket ones.

The choices here in Canada are:
1. V-Force 3 (most spendy with it's own dual petal cage design)
2. Carbon Tech
3. Boyesen

Please let me know if ne1 has used any of these on an XC.
Thanks,
Kev(500..)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have no experience with reeds on sleds but I do have it with my motox bike. I upgraded to V-force reeds and it made a very nice difference...better throttle response and better bottom end. Any aftermarket will give you better performance but the Vforce will give you the best across the board increase.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
My bro put boyesen reed peddles on his ultra and they made a diff but not a real big one..I also put a boyesen rad valve reed/intake system on my yamaha blaster quad and that woke it up big time,the whole power band was better...so its tuff to say but iv had good luck with boyesen but I know people that have had V-force to and had no problems..later

·
Registered
837 Posts
i've tried carbon tech, nothing really happened, if anything very minor, put v force in wow, much better mid and top end, anymachine that has reeds i put v force in

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,
Sounds like the V-Force is the way to go...but man...they are triple the price.
Not sure if I want to spend almost 400 bucks just on reeds.
Will think about it.
Thanks for the input.
K

·
Registered
312 Posts
specially since they wont give you more then 3 to 7 hp ,,
for that price ,, go and get UFO's that will give you close to 1HP/100cc of engine ,,, and it would be under 60$ , heheh

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UFO's are only for roundslide Mikuni's...my XC has flatslides.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Carbon tech was no good huh? Must be why they're cheaper I dunno. That's good to know though. tks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What other mods does the sled have? clutch? studs? exhaust? Usually reeds are used in conjunction with other mods. V's are the best for performance, but I have heard alot on other forums of the petals need replacing around 500 miles. They don't last as long as OEM, boyesen, or carbon tech.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'd like to know if anyone has tried the Boyesen Power Reeds? They cost a LOT less than V-force, and Boyesen have always been reliable in dirt bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These reeds are two piece units and therefore they are thicker then stock metal reeds. I had to get longer screws so I didn't strip the threads in the reed blocks.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by j-2-800
[br]What other mods does the sled have? clutch? studs? exhaust?
Nothing...she is bone stock...and I like it that way...just thought I'd go aftermarket if the reeds needed changing ne-way.
Thought about studs, but I really do not want to shorten the life of my track, which correct me if I am wrong, they do.
Would have liked to have studs on the trail last Sunday, we were moving pretty quick on a well used main trail, and she felt a little loose...but nothing I couldn't handle with careful use of the throttle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Studs will shorten the life of the track. Studs only in the center belt don't shorten it much. The sides are always the first to go.

I like the acceleration, I love the stopping ability.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, the small cc sleds like the 440's and 500's dont benifit as well as the big cc engines do with reed petal changes. The 440 race sleds are the exception because every little bit helps them on the track. The reeds will give you better throttle response but not much more power, if any. The smaller cc sleds can only flow so much air. Dont waste your money on V-force reeds for your 500, when Carbon Tech or Boyesen reed petals will do the same for a heck of alot less. You dont need to flow all the air that V-force can produce for your 500. If you had a 600,700 or definitely a 800, I would go with the V-force for the benefits. Put some petals only on your stock cages, maybe a can, jet it just right and clutch the sucker for sure. I rejetted and clutched my wifes 500 and what a differance. Its like a totally different sled. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by MAYDAZE
[br]Well, the small cc sleds like the 440's and 500's dont benifit as well as the big cc engines do with reed petal changes.... Dont waste your money on V-force reeds for your 500, when Carbon Tech or Boyesen reed petals will do the same for a heck of alot less. Put some petals only on your stock cages, maybe a can, jet it just right and clutch the sucker for sure. I rejetted and clutched my wifes 500 and what a differance. Its like a totally different sled. Good luck.
Thanks Maydaze,
I have been told that before, and you are right, the V-force in a 500 is quite alot of cash for the gains I'd get.

Just wondering what clutching you did to the wifes 500? I have heard good things about the Erlandson kits.

What do you think about what was said about carbon fiber reeds not lasting as long...I sure don't want to be replacing reeds every year.

I have been reluctant to start jetting her, she runs really well on the stock jet, and I just move the needle up and down for temp changes.

Decided against studs, I ride alot of crosscounrty in stubble and studs would help very little, and I do not want to buy a new tarck before I have to...although a 1.25 would be nice.

Thanks for the input...everybody.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
carbon fiber reeds will chip while fiberglass will split. Go with carbon fiber, it has better resistance to high rpm flutter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts