Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals - quick question for you all. I supposely bought a '76 TX440 from a guy in MI off on EBAY. Comes to find out, he doesnt have a title or registration for that sled after the auction was closed. When he bought the sled, he told me he didnt get one with the sled either. Well to make a long story short - I didnt give him the money to purchase the sled, only because I have a problem how I can get the sled to register in NY. According to NY DMV, it stated that I need to have a proof of ownership (registration or a title) and a bill of sale. Because he doesnt have a proof of ownership - what can I do or what can he do? Im thinking, maybe he can contact the last owner he bought the sled from, for his/her registration OR, maybe he should register the sled in his name and then turn the title/registration over to me. I want to ask you fellow sledders to see if any of you had same type of experience w/ non-titled sleds, especially when its from out of state. Any ideas what I can do or should I just bail out of the deal? Thanks - WL

·
Registered
831 Posts
Write the guy a note, explaining that you have found that you can not register the machine in NY without proper ownership papers.

If you were going to just use it as a "Yard Bird" on your farm, it would not be that big of a deal. But if that is not the case, you got a problem.

If you were going to use it for parts and bought it cheap, then you are fine unless you were going to utilize the chassis with VIN #.

Personally, the moment I found that it did not have papers, I would have run. I would rather have a negative feedback, than a machine I had to part out.

Best of Luck.

Bulldog

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BD - I already talked to the seller and we agreed that I can back out of the deal. The sled is one of the nicest, clean sled Ive seen in a awhile. Its not worth parting the sled out. WL.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by white lightning
[br] According to NY DMV, it stated that I need to have a proof of ownership (registration or a title) and a bill of sale.
First of all-- Always ask these types of important ?'s before bidding if it's not explained in the description! It will save a lot of grief and disgust for both buyer and seller.
As for your DMV-do they require both the registration and a bill of sale--or one or the other? I would double check with them on their regulations for registering vintage sleds.
Here in Wi. we don't go thru the DMV. We register sleds, boats,PWC's and ATV's with the DNR. All that is required is either a bill of sale or the previous registration. They are pretty relaxed about registering vintage sleds up here. I believe MN. is the same.
Maybe this guy can get it registered in MI. w/ a bill of sale and your problems are solved--if you really want the sled.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A bill of sale and a rubbing of the vin will allow you to register the sled in NY. The rubbing is so that they can run a check to see it it was ever stolen.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did ask the seller question regarding on the registration. In fact when he was setting up to sell his sled - he says the listing ask was, "lien, salvage or clear" he clicked clear. What he should have done was, explain in the description box that the sled didnt have a title/registration. The seller told me that he got about 145 emails and thought he replied to my note, stated he didnt have the title/registration. I didnt get that email. Its possible he might have sent the email to someone else, thinking it was me. Who knows. The seller was actually cool about it and we both agreed we would call it off - not because of the registration reason so much anymore, because of other reasons as well. Thanks for the responds guys!!! WL.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OCR - it might be that way years ago - I know you have to rub the VIN, and then you have to have it notorize with proof from a police officer, stated that VIN came off from that sled. I only know that because a buddy of mine has to register his old Sno-Jet that hasnt been registered in years. When you dont register the sled in X amt of years, it will come off from DMV database. The registration becomes useless for some reason - WL.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The last time that I did this, I just took the rubbing in and they accepted it without any other supporting documents.
This was only 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hey Mike,

My brother is going throught the same thing with his ZR. Lost the regi and it was never in his name. DMV told him to get a rubbing and a bill of sale and they would give him a temporary non-transferrable regi till the background check was complete. But thats just what he told me and hes a dolt.

I would call DMV and talk directly to a rep to find out the best course of action.

Good luck man, hope you get it straightened out.

btw:NICE AVATAR [Love]

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Luke, you like her eh? [BowDown] I do too!!! We got to get together and trade stories about our TXs this winter if we ever get any snow.

Guys/Gals, I finally found another TX, its a '77 440. I will be picking her up, hopefully on Sunday. Now my question to you all, what engagement should it be and what should it peak out at? Any informations I can get about Polaris 440 FreeAir, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Happy New Year to you all!!!

WL

[attachment=53985]

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts