Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new sled this summer & would like to know since the previous owner has it registered public use for the upcoming 2010-2011 season do I need to do it under my name & pay for it after it's already got the 11 reg stickers on it & under his name?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've heard of people just running the registration until it expires, but not sure if it's legal to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hangman said:
I've heard of people just running the registration until it expires, but not sure if it's legal to do.
more than likely the route I'll take, but my luck I'll get stopped & asked for registration, there going to think it's stolen! do you have any idea the cost of a title transfer or registration transfer, because if it comes down to re-registering it...Fuc* that!

·
Registered
149 Posts
just go get it registered. I got mine done for bout 40$ with new stickers, (TRANSFER AND RENEWAL)...key thing is lie about how much you paid for it.. for example if you said you bought it for 50$ the taxes would only be 2.50 [thumb] plus i got proof the owner wrote the bill of sale for that price. even if you dont have a bill of sale they will have you just make one up.. or in your case its just has to be transfered thats only like 10$ hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
As long as you have the previous owner's reg card, just go ahaead and ride it til it expire's.

Rick

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Just do a transfer. $5 http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/registrations/snowmobile.htm

·
Registered
848 Posts
Festus33 said:
As long as you have the previous owner's reg card, just go ahaead and ride it til it expire's.

Rick
That's what i'd do.

This must be one of those awesome exclusive to Maine taxes. If it only costs you like $50 tops then it may be worth it... When you register a sled in your name for the first time, if you didn't already pay the tax at a dealership, then you will when you register. At least that is how ME works. And for a typical sled sales tax is like $400 plus the $40 for registration.

And someone mentioned it earlier when you buy a sled if you have the seller give you a fake title with a lower price on it then the less you have to pay in tax. Very common around here.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
95mach1670 said:
Festus33 said:

Rick
Not something id risk, whats $10?
There is No risk.
Until the reg expire's, you are riding a borrowed sled.

In Wi the reg card is required to be in the possesion of the rider at all time's anyway's.

I rode My Prowler for 2 season's before I had to register it in My own name, as it had been reg'd just prior to My buying it.

The Tag's are good as long as the card is with the rider.

Rick

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Not sure how Wisconsin works, but think about it from the other persons perspective. I know if I sold someone a sled I would expect them to transfer the registration right away. Think about the damage you could cause otherwise. What if you crashed into someone else with a sled that is not even in your name? If thier is even the slightest chance that the previous owner could be at fault, a lawyer will find a way to get more money.

Sure you may have signed some type of bill of sale of something. Maybe that would help, I don't know. But just think about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya I had him sign off/over the registration card, that's what it says to do when you sell, but he said that there was no title for it...so no need to have a snomobile title when it comes time to register it
under my name?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
ya I had him sign off/over the registration card, that's what it says to do when you sell, but he said that there was no title for it...so no need to have a snomobile title?
In WI, all you need is the card. That's all I had when I got my sled and the DNR never gave me any problems.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If he signed the card, you may not be able to claim that it is a borrowed sled.

Do the transfer and be safe. You know the DNR is always out looking for more money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts