Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the key switch do and what kind of fuel should I run. Will I see any improved performace by running premium vs regular?

Thanks,

·
Registered
492 Posts
the switch i made so the if you have a low quality fuel you can turn it to the non-prem side, and it retards the timing a bit. I would say that you should always run prem 91+ octane, bunrs better and helps your sled run at its peak!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
also keeps your'e engine cleaner ,and store's a whole lot better during the summer

·
Registered
476 Posts
o damn i always put premium in and i never knew what the prem only light was for so i alwasy turned it off, so does this mean im not getting full performance out of the premium gas

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
By keeping it on premium is usually good for about a extra 3hp.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by tonyisnt
[br]Funny...the other numerous threads about fuel octane on this forum suggest otherwise.
octane itself won't make more hp, but on the edge sled when it's switched to "premium" changes the ignition timing which results in more power. if you have it on the premium setting and run lower octane fuel you will get detonation.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i was told to always use premium because it lasts longer so u dont waste anymore money then u would with regular u wouldnt have to worry about gas as soon and also the premium gas cleans out ur engine and runs cleaner excellent for ur carbs it cleans them right out :D my opion

·
Registered
490 Posts
Premium will not run cleaner and will not improve fuel milliage. it is only needed for your sled if it is set up for it, if it isnt (advanced timing or higher compression) then you are simply throwing money away. It is funny how many run premium in there sleds because of false information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2006 polaris rmk 700 used premium but accidently put regular fuel in it then it just lost all its power ??????????? was wondering if that was the case or is my engine blowen

·
Registered
690 Posts
my brother has an 01 800 xc sp and he runs premium, i wouldnt run regular unless you had too

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Talk about beat to death. Remember, the Polaris sleds are jetted rich from the factory, especially those without DET. I use regular with the switch on premium and never had a problem and I run a tempaflow and jetted down a bit and have gone riding as low as -40*F. If you are jetted properly, have mods like a pipe, head, etc then it is a good idea to run premium.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think of it this way, my sled runs a little better and if im going to fill up with ten gallons ill spend an extra two bucks at most to get the little better performance i notice in my sled.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Backwoodsrider
[br]I've run both and really haven't ever noticed a differnce either way!!!
These are pretty much my thoughts. If someone approaches the pump with the idea that premium will make their sled run better, they are going to "feel" it run better. It's the placebo effect. I've never noticed a difference and never will, because I'm pretty positive there is none.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You can run 87 in it and as long as you set the octane switch to "regular" it will run just fine.
The timing curve is the same on either switch setting untill about 6000 rpm, after that point the timing is advanced 1 or 2 degrees with it set to "premium". Its not as if its a major difference.
Basically, the switch is there so that if you either cant find 93 octane fuel or arent sure of the quality of the fuel (for example if you sled has sat for a month and the gas is on the verge of going bad) you have a safeguard to protect the engine.
I ran 87 octane and kept the switch on "regular" on my '01 600 for the past 2 years and it ran just fine. I recently tried 93 and set it to "premium" and it does feel a little bit stronger and the throttle response does feel snappier, but I cant say for certain whether its just all in my head or whether it actually makes my sled run better.
One things for sure, 93 octane fuel will NOT clean out your carbs or give you more horsepower. Unless you engine is built to take advantage of high octane fuel, you are pretty much wasting money.
Personally, I always run 93 octane fuel to prevent detonation. On 12 gallons of gas its only $2.40 more per tank and that way when we come to a lake and I want full engine power, I can switch it over to premium and my sled gives me all it has and when Im just cruising around I cant switch it back to regular and have an extra margin of safety against detonation.
You could run 87 in it all the time and as long as you leave the switch set to "regular" you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I again i drained the gas as much as i could n seemed to run good it has fuel injecters not carbs
has a little noise in pull crank pully but nothing much has slp silencer with a burned out exhaust senser i think... engine light stayes on at five blinks then stops for a second sparks still spark but not sure if its misfiring still seems to back fire.
............. neeeed help thnx

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jetting will not help detonation and with a Polaris 800 twin this is where the problem is. These motors especially in the 2001 model year detonation will destroy the motor if ran with bad gas. This is the reason you can not add pipes safely to a stock 800 motor without changing timing, heads and or fuel quality at low elevation. For the price differences between 87-92 about $2.50 a tank, why would you risk it??? I never run anything less than 92 unless I have too just for the reason all octane is +/- 2 points! 87 is now 85 and add in water, lack of turnover and you are asking for trouble. Less issue if you have fat (stock) jetting, then again you are wasting gas running stock jetting.

My 2002 Pro-x 600 ran about 5 mph faster in 1000' using 92 and premium switch vs regular setting. Not too scientific but consistently over several runs viewed from the dash's gages.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well just writing back started it up ran good took it around the house thought it was out of gas but i think my engine seized because it wont pull took a peek under the engine and found little bits of metal i dont know whers its coming from maybe my crankshaft went or what come u guys shoulds know leave any tips just wrecked my year and new polaris i still love polaris i think i just got a bad sled............................................HERE

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK, lets beat this dead horse some more....heres a link that will help understand octane...

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Commerce/Gasoline_Octane_Facts_102902052227_OctaneFacts.pdf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts