Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
regarding top end and lower end engine rebuilds - A dealer told me that liquid cooled engines will have a longer life span (because they run cooler) than fan cooled engines. Any thoughts on these comments ?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There are other factors to consider. Type of riding, conditions, temperature,fuel and oil used and maintenance for example. Nicacil cylinder coating seems to really help as well. In an equal test I would say liquid. Why else would the manufactures use mostly these motors.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually I think fan cooled motors are very reliable. If you replace the fan belt once in a while and keep them up, they run for a loooong time. Most folks like the HP of a liquid though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well my experience with racing is this. Liquid takes way more maintainence, fan take way more testing. All we did with our fans is re ring them every 150 to 300 miles for optimum performance and test like crazy to find that extra 1/4 mph. We sunk one of our fan cooled sleds in 2001 to the bottom of farms pool, got it out, drained the motor, gas tank, oil, and dried the seat. Fired it back up, and later on in the year that sled won the 500! I think they both last long time, but liquids are able to squeeze gobs more horsepower out of the same size motor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've owned and repaired many Polaris snowmobiles and in my opinion liquids last much longer. Of course riding style and maintenance all affect reliability. However a liquid will last usually half again longer before the cylinder walls wear out of tolerance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts