Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe it is just me, but when I was a kid, all I remember was piles of snow every year. Now 20 years later I have to get excited about 2" over night. Man, global warming sux. I will just blame Greenspan.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It's not just you, My dad has a picture taken in about '75 of a nieghbours bungalo and all you can see is the roof, and 2 feet below the eaves.
There was a trench dug up to the front door with 9 foot snow walls.
I'll post it if I can find it.
Used to go snowshoeing in elementary school all the time, now the kids are lucky to find enough to cover their boots.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The early 70's did have alot of snow I remember that one storm you would have at least 2 feet of snow in one storm and within a day or too you would get another 1 to 2 feet of snow again. I know it showing my age LOL. That when we had snow.

TEAM BLUE SAID WIND IT UP BABY

·
Registered
322 Posts
NO, I know what you guys mean, even a few years ago (like 5-7) it used to be much better. I remember better snow too, but I'm sure back when yer talking about there was much more. I think since like '96 or '97 it's started to suck.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talking to the farmers and the older folk around here, they say it is going to be a big winter because the mice are trying to get inside early. I hope there is something to this. I guess I can trust them just as much as a modern day meteorologist.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What did the farmers say about the mice last year?

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ya, remember b4 i got my good sled, when i still had my panther, ride across all the fields no problem...now...well.....cant go in fields nemroe

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question, I guess it never came up. I would guess from last year's mild conditions, they were probably playing volleyball or having a picnic.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
As a farmer, I can say last year at this time, when we were combining soybeans, I could look at the ground and see mice running everywhere. I have not seen ANY since we started combining soybeans last week. When I'm out doing field work, I don't see any either. But in our machine shed the little pain in the asses are making nests everywhere.

Good sign?

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lets hope the ol men know what they are talkin bout

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
god i hope so...the most snow we got this year was 15 inches...im guessin in 20 years there wont be a snowmobile in my area which is sad since im in minnesota......wow.....cant these smart-*** find a way to patch the ozone?

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Those dang mouses better start making houses because I feel we are in for a good winter. The last GREAT winter I remember was in 1997, we had LOTS of good snow that winter!
Since about 1999 we have had some pretty bad and snowless winters, things have to change sooner or later....at least I hope.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guy's what's up?
Here is what I was told by a meteoroligist, we had a very warm summer which brought all the lakes' temperatures up to above average. This will prolong the cooling down of the lakes which means if a system goes over these lakes it will pick up alot more moisture which will develop into percipitation which means LAKE EFFECT which is one of my favorite phrases!
hopefully this guy is correct, but if he and the mice are in agreement then I feel very optimistic about this winter.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My father has some old home movies (7mm) from back in the early 70's. The snow banks in front of our house we're so big, you couldn't even see the cars going by on the street untill they went right in front of the drive way. Man I miss those days.

Well, we had our first frost this morning in central Maine...32 deg F. Could see the steam rising on all the lakes, ponds, and rivers. Its really getting close now. I'm going to the Maine State snowmobile show this weekend at the Augusta Civic Center.

After the start of the cold weather, and going to that snowmobile show.....I think I'll be moving a cot out into the garage so I can sleep next to my sled!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
134 Posts
i wish we had a winter like in the 70's i think truly it would hope the economy because snowmobiling is one of the biggest family sports...and in door county and in northern wisconsin there are a lot of snowmobilers coming from around the surrouding states spending money...also for my sake i wish we got a lot of snow i hate listeing to the stories my dad usta tell me because it gets me thinking about snowmobiling and how much fun i could have if there was more snow..

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
328 Posts
The last great snow year for my area was the 98/99 riding season, 67' of snow throughout the winter
Although last year wasn't too bad, we had one snow fall of 7' in one night, that was some nice powder riding
You should all come to vancouver BC, then you would really see some snow banks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea, my dad and my uncles and my grandpa said that the 70's had some really REALLY heavy winters. Nights where they'd get 3 or 4 feet in a few hours...nuts. My grandpa has this thing in his garage called "the winter diary" it's so funny. Tells about a heavy winter and how this guy reacts to it. It's funny. In the end the guy moves to Arizona...it's hilarious the first time you read it. If only it were that now...the old days...

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
1997 was the last good winter in the ways of snow and I didn't have a snowmobile to drive. I remember that we had to dig our house out from under the snowbank to start throwing sandbags.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
winter of 2000-1 was pretty good too, i rode evereday and they had the lil trail along the highway groomed all winter too..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts