Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question. i have never taken a track of a snowmobile. well i did but i was little and helping my dad. but i was just wondering what does it take to get the front part of the track of i go the back off. any help would be great. thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
In reply to removing a track:

You will have to take the 4 bolts out of the suspension and remove it. Easier to remove the suspension with sled on its side.
You will need to remove the secondary clutch to make it easier to get to the speedo side bearing housing. Remove the chaincase cover, remove the upper and lower gears and chain, dont loose the parts or which way they go on. Then removoe the drive shaft. The bearing should come off with some persuasion on the chaincase side. Some speedo drive bearings are on with a lock collar. Remove track and reverse procedure to install new one. BTW, make sure you put new bearings on the driveshaft while you have it out. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i agree with all of the preceeding comments, except I have usually just lifted the rear of the sled and taken the suspension out to the side. you kinda need 2 people, 1 to hold the track back and the other to wiggle out the suspension. Be sure to push the rear bogey wheel set all the way foreward to make the suspension as small as possible. it comes out easier that way. work from the front of the suspension and the back, ya kinda gotta wiggle both ends. then when you want to put it back in use ratchet straps to compress the shocks and springs so it fits in better, and use a floor jack to lift things properly. As for the bearings, its up to you if you want to replace them. there is about a 15 minute fix to them but it involves a hydraulic press to separate the tunnel so you can drop the bearings out without taking out the shaft... not what your dealer reccommends, but ive done it before. a couple of other people have also drilled holes in one side of the bearing casing, so that grease from the grease zerk( on the clutch side) or chain case fluid(on the chain side) can get into the sealed bearing and keep it lubed better. i've never done it, it might last you a week longer or a year, not sure.
anyhow, put the new track in and tighten the tension and allignment appropriately.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ive done it many times and with only 1 person yeah its harder that way but its not impossible. just alot of pursuation. normally there are 3 bolts on each side that hold the drive shaft in place. remove all 6 and it might take a little working of the shaft and holding the track off the drivers underneigth to get it out. but its not that hard of a process. just check back with us if you have anymore questions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.